Chapter 19

Some things last forever. Some only for a second. But nothing ever is as you wish they are only as they should be. An eternal life brings fourth eternal worry but more than that it gives you the opportunity to grow and learn as many things as your heart desires. But even eternity comes to an end for some, after all werewolves are living creatures that can die if very ill, a rare occurrence but one none the less. Or their life is cut short by an outside power, in our present case the hunters. The first-time war occurred, had been a few years back, when my father was the king and I, only his voice wherever my feet took me in this vast world. I often think about how he felt when he was in my position. Did he miss being a prince? Did he wish for a simple life? But the question I truly wanted an answer to was Did he regret anything?

The field had a golden glow as the sun began to descend. It was a tranquil evening despite what was taking place around us. Saul vanished somewhere, he was most likely somewhere near his mate. Watching my back was Cassidy, who was warding off those who dared come close. Her right eye was yet to stop bleeding, a nasty scar that will leave, even with our healing power. Her fur had a coppery like colour due to all the blood. With her natural colour hidden and the bleeding eye, she looked like another wolf. I could feel her frustration regarding her new look and I searched for regret, as those went hand in hand most often, but there was no regret in her stance. Watching her, watching them gave me the answer that I hoped for. My father regretted nothing because I regretted nothing, it was that simple.

An angry cry woke something in me, my wolf wanted out so I changed, and in an instant, I was by Erin's side. Stephen had been injured. The feeling I had before was his pain, I should have known. But with all that was going on around us the pain of my friends was one of many. 'Leave him to me. I will take him to get healed.' Cole was my problem, our problem but this fight was Erin's. We all knew that.

Rage, such an uncompromising expression of anger. A state in which one forgets everything but the very reason they are in that state. Blind to anything and everything because of this emotion, we become powerful. This uncontrollable anger makes one invincible, but I was not. I was by far invincible. I might have shown advanced self-mastery of my two selves but I was far from being in sync with my wolf. I trusted her but not enough, the hunter way of life was rooted deep within me. My and Stephen's relationship was without a name. We were not friends, no, we were two people with the same task, but maybe not even that. He hated me, or I thought he did. And I? I thought of him as someone overprotective and loyal to his friends, but that had nothing to do with me. So why was I so upset? He protected me, that much I know, but why this rage? Was it because of my relationship with Saul and thus his connection to Stephen? Maybe.

He had no idea what hit him. In my rage, blind as I was, in a flash my hand half changed to that of a werewolf struck Cole across the chest leaving a deep mark. His blood spilling on the frozen earth amazed even him. With great effort my hand changed back, but I was not done with him at all. I flung myself at him again, this time though, he avoided me. There it was again that inhuman speed of his. That did not stop me, not even the bullet of his side arm he fired moments after he avoided my attack. I did not feel the pain, only my arm pulsed and burned, which was nothing. The second time he tried to shot me, I was more aware and dodged it, or Nire did in any case. I hit him again, this time with my fist across his smug face. He was grinning, as we danced in a mix of martial arts with random jabbing. As we went on punching each other, I notices he was not out of breath like most hunters were after minutes of intense exercise, let alone in a fight, as I would have been if not a werewolf.

'You...what have you done?' I said, my head clearer now.

'Tsk...slow thing you are my Alice. I taught you better.' Mocking me, was he?

'Why do you have werewolf strength?' The wolves around my found my question odd. Saul though, seemed to understand why I asked such a thing.

'You know...that little mutt that escaped, had other purposes before we arrived here.'

'What do you mean? He was...what have you done?' He did not do what I think he did.

'Starting to repeat yourself dear?' said Cole, a sly smile on his face. 'After years of research I have found a way to harness a wolf's power without turning into one. Smart of me, don't you think?'

'And you call them monsters?' Yes, he tortured that wolf, no wander he was so unhealthy.

'What was that now, child?'

'You heard me Cole. The monster here is you. You tortured that wolf so you could gain his power, their power. Are you that much of a coward?'

Angering someone on purpose is never a smart move. Me telling Cole he is a coward was a moronic thing to do. I had forgotten what he's capable of. Really, how foolish can I be? Very, that is for sure. Cole as a human was a fearsome opponent, Cole with werewolf power was something else. He, unlike me with a birth acquired ability, trusted that stolen power. Cole hit me so hard that I flew away a few meters. I think I even heard a rib crack from the force of it. Saul was by my side in an instant, still in wolf form.

'Just because you became one of them does not mean that I will let you disrespect me. I am after all your master.'

'For a second there I thought you will say father.' I laugh. No, bad move, he definitely broke a few ribs, no laughing with this injury. He loaded his gun in order to shoot at us, well at me, but Cassidy threw herself at him. He dodged but in doing so he let go of his gun.

'The thought crossed my mind. Me calling myself your father. But I rather like how master sounds.'

'I bet you do.' I said while standing up with Sauls help.

'How unappreciative of you.' He was licking his knife. He always did that right before he killed his prey. I shivered. Saul felt something as he came closer comforting me.

'Don't get me wrong, I am grateful. You raised me after all. I never thought of you as a father either.'

'Where is the but, there is always one. Yours shall be entertaining.' I felt Saul leave my side but I did not dare look away from Cole.

'There is no but. Only that I am in your debt, a thing I wish to rectify.'

'And how do you plan on doing that? You little traitor washed your hands of everything I did for you.' He said, his own rage now surfacing. 'So, how will you make us even?'

'The only thing I can think of is not to kill you.' Cole was speechless and then he burst out laughing.

'You...kill me...you are funny. You cannot kill me mutt.'

'You are right, I can't kill you. But not because of the reason you are thinking of.'

'Then why? Come on, humour me.'

'Because there is someone who has a better reason than I to kill you.'

Cole wished to say more but did not have a chance. Saul attacked him from behind snapping his neck. He had no chance, no matter how much power he stole, he did not steal a werewolf sense of smell it seemed. Otherwise, Cole would have sensed Saul approach and would have moved away.

Finally, it was over.