Chapter 11

Blood had a certain smell, you could not miss it even if you wanted to. The smell was too much as I run with full speed ahead. I should have accepted the witch's' offer to go through the portal in order to reach our base faster but it would have been too easy. The other packs needed to see that the royal wolves were thinking of them and that they were not forgotten. The streets were full of bodies of both werewolves and human hunters, the war had begun in the blink of an eye and there was nothing we could do but fight it out. As always, the idea of peace was far from our minds. We saw red as wolf after wolf fell to their death under the hunter's attack and innocent people got caught in the middle - not only from our side. Like in any war there were not just this side and that side but there was a third side. The werewolves and their allies who wanted to survive and then there were the humans and werewolves alike who had no desire to participate in any kind of confrontation but were dragged into one anyway. The hunters, whose sole purpose was to annihilate the werewolf population were intent on destroying all of us and as things were now their wish was not far from realty.

I was right to take the long way home. The wolves in the pack houses I passed were pleased to see me. As I went on I saw pack after pack, some handled the hunters well while others barely survived the attacks. Other wolf packs were completely destroyed, burned to the ground faster than one could blink, the hunters had no mercy. I was now passing through the woods of Germany and something about those woods made my wolf stir. I took a break at the edge of a lake and opened the mind link. The voices were louder than I anticipated and what they said made no sense. Before I could shut the connection though Charles got through.

'Our guests arrived, where are you?'

'On my way. I thought it would be best if I came on foot, the packs around here appreciated that as well.' I said looking around for a potential threat.

'Saul, I know why you went on foot. I asked because I need you here faster. Cole arrived and I need you here to plan our next move.' He said somewhat angry that I misunderstood him.

'Well sorry about that, I had a long day. It would be good for me to be there too but it is not possible for me to arrive in time for the meeting. I am only in Germany at the moment, it would take a week or more for me to get back. You should start without me.'

'There might be a way you could be here in time. Carme said the witches can open a portal near you. You have to tell me what you can about your location, anything will help.'

'There is nothing here but trees and a lake. How about you postpone that meeting a few days? It will give me time to reach the sea where it would be easier to describe the location.'

'Very well, Cole is not in no rush so I see no harm in waiting. But please hurry, the sooner you are here the better.'

'Charles, has that huntress given you any trouble?' I said, still concerned about the fact that we had an enemy in our house, better yet an enemy near our King.

'Oh, she is actually one of us now. Forgot to tell you, sorry.' He said cheerfully.

'What do you mean she is one of us? How can a hunter be anything but an enemy?'

'Saul it would take a lot of time for me to explain, time that we do not have at the moment. But long story short, she shifted into a wolf, that was the reason Lucy and the others brought her here.'

'So, she become the hunted one and needs our protection?' I said bitterly.

'Quite the other way around. She wanted to leave in order to protect us.'

'You don't say!'

'I have to go inform the others that you will be late. See you in a few days Saul. Stay safe'