Chapter 16

All good things come to an end. After the heat from yesterday night today felt like a cold shower on a winter day. The hunters bombed the gates and the towers instantly making their presence known. The white-brownish fields were now a battlefield. The stronghold was in ruin. Black smoke rose from the earth and ash fell from the sky replacing the pure white snow. Men and women on each side were falling one after the other. In that moment on that field there was no such thing as mercy. The men were angry and determined to eliminate their foe while the werewolves were menacing but calmer taking into consideration their surroundings. The men had one single task and that was to exterminate the opposing side. On the other hand, the wolves wanted to protect themselves and their pack.

A black wolf bigger than any other on the battlefield stood tall and menacing in the midst of what was, two or three days before, the stronghold's garden. He was snarling so viciously that the hunters who, some with silver sabres some with guns and daggers, driven by instinct pulled back a few steps. On each side of the wolf were two others, one champagne blonde wolf and another ash blonde one protecting him. They were ripping through the hunters letting not even one pass by them. The three of them bled from the gunshots made by the hunters before them. So were other werewolves who were trying their best to protect their king and at the same time the entrance to their outpost. As I looked upon the sight before me I remembered about the sapphire, a blue precious gemstone that resembled royal blood. Most thought it to be just a stone with nothing to it but the fancy form. Cole once said that my eyes were like sapphire jewels and when our enemies looked into my eyes or when his people did so, all felt inferior under my gaze. But was it like that though? Or were they only indulging me because I was his right hand? Either way to me sapphire was a simple stone. A vain object that had nothing I could want.

Various people thought the colour of the sapphire had the origins from the sky, some thought it was created by royal blood spilled in battle. In the matter of sapphire being made out of royal blood, or coloured by it, things were far from reality. The wolves fought off their assailers and killed as many as possible, the same was for the hunters who were fighting in pairs. Charles and the elders were in the front lines easily breaking the hunter troops. Saul was with him protecting his king. Their blood was far from blue.

Saul wanted me to stay inside. As soon as the walls came to a halt, after the tremor of the bombing, he kissed me passionately and asked me not to go outside. I think he saw something in my sapphire eyes that told him I won't do as instructed. He was right too as I was now on the battlefield, a bow in my hand, against Stephen's back. With the corner of my eye I saw Saul looking my way and shaking his wolfy head. His fur is fluffy, do you think? It appears to be. If it were not for Stephen, an arrow would have killed me instantly.

'Pay more attention, would you?' He said annoyed.

Yes, Saul sent him. Of course, how could I not? I may not know you for long. Well...his pause made my face turn red. Sorry about that, not the time now. What I am trying to say is that I knew you wouldn't listen and come outside. How long have you been reading my thoughts? I asked pretending to be mad at him. Not long. I began when I saw you came outside. You're a cheeky little boy. I heard that. And you know for a fact I am not little. At that I shot him out of my mind embarrassed. How he could find the time to joke about that in this scenario was beyond me. But what surprised me most was the fact that I trusted him so much. How come I came to be so close to him in just a few days? Has he put me under a spell? You're a silly girl. Nire said laughing in my head. It is due to the mate bond. Cassidy and I told you that soulmates are made for each other. We are made for Saul......and Saul is made for us. She may be right but I was yet to align my mind with my heart. I have never had such feelings. My life before was that of a heartless huntress. I was what Cole trained me to be.