Chapter 15

As it began to snow movement in the camp increased. The men were gearing up some with sabers others with guns and daggers, all silver. A thought kept on my mind why silver? In ancient times men thought that silver was purifying and that by wounding the supernatural creatures with it the evil shall go back to where it came from. Sometime later, they had different approaches for each supernatural race. Silver, wood, fire those were in the opinion of many the best way to exterminate what they feared. How wrong they were in their belief.

Take witches for instance. More often than not the punishment for sorcery was execution by publicly burning the witches at stake, as often read in history most which's were women, a false fact as the first users of witchcraft were male. One thing was for certain though women were more skillful than men ever were in the practice of witchcraft. Leaving that aside the hunters of that age killed more innocents that actual witches. A witch was smart, sly and foolishly brave. When caught, they usually froze time in order to create a doppelganger of themselves, an empty soulless shell that would take their place. The respective witch would then change her appearance and unfreeze time. No one ever new, not the humans anyway. Other times some chose to die having seen and done enough in the world, they let everything go. Humans were scared of witchcraft, they had to have control over things and magic was something that took that away from them. Fear was a powerful tool in any way possible.

For vampires it was death by sharp objects, usually made out of wood to be more effective. They believed that by stabbing the vampires through the heart with it they will have victory. This was true but not because of the sharp wooden weapons but because no matter what supernatural race, we would die if we are stabbed through the heart no matter the weapon. Vampires were fast and because of that they were rarely caught. Their weakness was the sun. They had little to none toleration to the heat of the sun and if weak their skin would burn. The powerful vampires had less drastic side effects when exposed to the light of day even when they lack physical strength. Headache was one symptom, one other was fatigue, but it all depended on the person. We each are born unique in some ways. Vampires were the same be it born or made.

For us werewolves it was silver, we as a race were not weak to it nor were we allergic. All there was to it was that we simply tend not to like the metal, I hated it, my friend heated it, I cannot speak of other werewolves. Somehow though humans believed it to be poison for us, that was why at the very moment as we were on our way to the battlefield I had on a silver collar. A laugh threatened to escape when they put it on but I pretended to be weak instead, my brain was working.What do you know?Hunters thought werewolves to be immortal with a fatal vulnerability to silver. We were immortal, but not in a sense that we never die. We as a race age slowly and live for a very, very long time. We die of wounds and sickness as well if those are powerful enough. Most of the time wolves die of broken hearts. Having a body that heals itself faster than normal the lifespan of a werewolf tends to be long and thus the human understanding that we are immortal.

Cole and his men made up their mind to make their move and we were slowly advancing through the snow on the road to the werewolf outpost, toward what was once my home. The landscape was enchanting even in this dreadful state I found myself in. The land was barren and deserted as it is in winter time, or in this case early winter, in a mixture of maroon and white. The earth frozen and full of cracks had a peculiar flexibility to it I noticed, as I moved forward and the steps I took went into the earth leaving marks behind. Falling snow was filling the ruptures made by the cold winter air, slowly now as it fell gingerly in a dance. We stopped for a moment to survey the land before us. Into the distance I could see the outpost were my people were getting ready for the night to come. How I hope they know the hunters are on their way. But they don't know, how can they?Night came and as the last sun rays fell upon the fields they made the snow sparkle beautifully, a calm before the storm. And what a storm it would be. It had been a long time since I felt or heard my wolf speak. I have not lost you then? You won't get rid of me that easily mate. All joke aside I am glad. Are we strong enough to escape then? Yes, nevertheless we shall wait until we reach the stronghold. He had a point. For now, it was enough to know I can get away if the chance is given. Regardless, I had to make sure he would be ok.

***

I was maybe the first ever king in the werewolf lore that had ascended on the throne without a queen by his side. In my early years I thought of myself as unlucky that I did not have a mate or, by some eventuality, I had the same fate as my dear friend. I often found myself drifting away into space thinking about how my mate had died and returned to reality with my spirits law. But looking around me now at the bodies that lay motionless before me I was...grateful. Grateful that I have not found my soulmate and have her see and look at this tragedy. Yet I had foolishly dreamed of the what ifs just like any other wolf. A wolf flew past me, thrown away by the blast of several muskets and I came back to reality just as fast as I left it behind. I had not yet shifted into my wolf, most of my men did. I took on what came at me with the help of Cassidy and Saul, most stubborn werewolves I have ever met. On the right flank, over by the gates, or what was left of them, were the witches who easily evaded the gunshots by conjuring a barrier around them. The witches were in charge of the defence and did all they could in order to shield everyone but it was not an easy task. The chaos around us made everything ten times harder. The hunters prepared well, but where could their leader be? My question was asked when Cassidy's cry of surprise turned my attention toward the nearest hill. There was Cole in his armour looking over us with a sly smile but it was not him that I focused on. No, what I was looking at was the man beside him. I could recognise that man anywhere. At first my mind and my heart had a passionate talk between them. That man had vanished from the face of the Earth and was thought to be dead. But maybe he was. Dressed in tattered clothes his appearance came across as being that of a vagabond. The man who's face this person wore was the only cousin I had left. This man could not be him, surely. As the wind changed its course a whiff of that man's odour came with it. A mixture of rotten eggs and blood, such an awful combination. But slipped through all that was a faint smell of burned wood. The man could not possibly be...my train of thought was cut short when he looked up and our eyes met. He was my cousin.He was Levi Engstrom. The look in his eyes was that of the man I once knew, playful and warm as they were his eyes spoke to me deeply.

'My King, I would like a word if you don't mind.' Said Levi urgently.

'Levi, we are alone. No need for formalities. You know my feelings on this.' I said giving him a solemn look.

'I am sorry, cousin. It is out of habit you see...'

'Yes, you and Saul keep using the same excuse. What is it you wish to tell me?'

'I have a bad feeling about this Cole person.' his brows were knit together in concentration.

'Don't we all?' I said letting out a small smile of reassurance. It worked as he relaxed himself for a moment.

'Well yes, but...I think...no, I am sure he is planning something.'

'He might be planning something, but that is nothing new. What is bothering you, truly?'

'I have sent a scout to the hunter base in Germany. He returned last night. He told me that Cole is about to kidnap someone important from our side.' He said, now pacing in front of my office desk unable to stay still any longer.

'Do we know who he want's?'

'No, unfortunately not.' Levi stopped his movement and after turning around to face me he said.

'Charles you have to promise me something?'

'What are you...' He did not let me finish.

'Promise me that if it is I that Cole takes, you won't save me.' I wasspeechless.

'Are you mad? How can I do such a thing?' Selrahc came through, his rage making Levi bow to us.

'If I am the one taken, I don't want you to put my life above the others. I, just like you and Saul, have the responsibility to protect our people.'

'I can understand that but Levi, how can you ask me to abandon you?'

'Cousin I know you would never abandon me. Promise me this and I in return promise you I would not die by the hunter's hands.'

'Very well then. But die by Cole's hand and I shall be the one to kill you a second time.' He only smiled rather than say anything else.

His heated gaze reminded me of the peculiar heart-to-heart we had before he went missing. He kept his promise and, in his eyes, I could now read a silent plea telling me to honour the promise I had made.