Chapter 14

Has a bit of mature content at the end (not much though)

A few days past, the weather had worsened. Snow began to fall with little snowflakes which meant by this time tomorrow the land will be covered in a white blanket. The morning air cooled my skin as I walked around to see how the land lies. I did this every morning. Nire and I knew that Cole would first examine the enemy thoroughly before making any move. The fact that he had not attacked was proof of that. First rule before assailing an enemy: Study your opponent. You know who the opponent is but what you don't know is their pattern, how they move, how they think. No one is the same, no one moves the same. The only positive thing is that they care for one another. The second rule and this is the key to success: In order to conquer over our foe, we need to strike where the damage will be critical. Werewolves live in packs just as regular wolves and just as any wolf, if not more, they have a weakness. A werewolf's weak point is their mate. Kill the mate and you will have the upper hand in any confrontation. Cole's rules were still imbedded inside my head, fresh and clear as the day he drilled them into me. By now he had all the information he needed of this outpost and he might already be on his way. He knew of our weakness but what about his? What is Cole's weak point?

I stood on the hill, just outside the training grounds. Covered in snow, I was shivering from the cold. Miles away the grey smoke from the hunter outpost was thick and rising to the sky. They are still there then? A few rays of sunshine escaped from the grey almost black clouds above and a glint snatched my attention. It was a short gleam that came from across the river. Someone is watching. Of course, they are watching. They were far enough in order not to be noticed and if it were not for that ray of light no one would know.

'How come every time we meet you have a frown on your face?' Come to think about it, Cassidy had a point, I was always deep in thought whenever she came to see me.

'Well, sorry about that.' She smiled at me before she asked.

'Why are you frowning? Is there something wrong?'

'We are being watched.' I said gravely. She too straightened up and tried to smell the threat.

'They are way over the hill. I saw them by chance.'

'The same place as the day before yesterday, not too brilliant...these men.' She saw me raise an eyebrow in question an explained. 'The scouts spotted them a few times. Is looks like they use the same spot to spy on us, fools.'

'So, you knew.'

'But that's not all, is it?' I don't know her too well but one thing I learned about my cousin is that she is very, very intuitive.

'No, no it is not. Remember we spoke about Saul's mate at dinner a few days ago.'

'I remember. Why is it you ask?'

'Cassidy, his mate is not dead.' The shocked expression on her face made her look funny.

'What...why...how do you know?'

'Because I have found mine.' I said.

'You did? Really?' She said as her face lit up with a smile. 'But wait, what does that have to do with Saul.'

'He is my mate. That is how I know...'

'...that his soulmate is not dead.' Finished Cassidy.

I spent the remaining of my morning speaking with her about Saul and what me being his soulmate entailed. She was unstoppable, this cousin of mine. She spoke to me about the history of mates and the royal beta's family tree. She stopped only when, by the insistence of my empty stomach, we went back inside where it was warm and cosy to have some lunch.