04.

Chapter Four.

"I've watched everyone round me die because of this. I don't want ta' lose you ta' it either." — Citrus M. Hayes.

May 14th, 2014
Docs Wash & Dry

"Who dresses like that for the laundry mat?"

Rubbing at her eyes from the irritation her contacts were causing her. Citrus tried her best to ignore Briana's remarks. She felt perfectly fine about the multicolor floral printed, Hermés romper she was dressed down in. Along with the tan gladiator sandals she purchased from a small boutique in the mall, that covered her feet and complimented both her outfit and skin tone.

Citrus had four thick Peruvian body waved twenty six inch; bundles installed. A perfect asymmetric middle part going down her scalp. Her coffin shaped white nails scratched at her eyebrow, as her matching white toes tapped against the bottom of her sandals. A pendant of the motherland, that she held close to her chest and never took off, was clamped around her neck. It was one of the last things gifted to her by her mother before she passed.

"Then she gonna' act like I'm not talkin' to her,"Briana scoffed before throwing a shirt at Citrus's head.

Looking up from her IPhone five, Citrus sucked her teeth at Briana before grabbing the shirt and folding it, "I dress like this for the laundry mat, now is that a problem?"

"Girl bye. You talk to Nahiem?" Briana raised her eyebrow before bringing her attention back to the pile of clothes she had to fold.

"Yeah. Why? Is he okay? What'd he do now?" Citrus tucked her lip into her mouth, anxiety taking over as she thought about what trouble Qadir could've got in or caused for that matter.

"Girl calm down. I just wanted to see if he and the guys found their cap and gowns yet."

"Oh," Citrus relaxed her shoulders at the sound of that, "Yeah, they're on the way back to his place now."

"Cool," Briana nodded, "You okay? I know everything with Nahiem has you overwhelmed."

Citrus sighed, she knew that this conversation would be coming up pretty soon. She tried her best to stray from it for the simple fact that she hated when others knew of what was occurring in her relationship. She felt that letting the outside in on what was going on in the inside, was the number one way to break up a union. As that's exactly what her and Nahiem were. A union, a partnership. There were two of them in the relationship, not the two of them and their friends or family.

Citrus couldn't believe that Qadir and herself had been together for almost a solid two years now. She never imagined herself being with a person like him simply because they were complete opposites. Though, it was like after they got paired together that one day in Tara's class they couldn't be without each other, they were almost inseparable.

She made it clear to him from the start, that she wanted nothing more than a friendship. At first, Nahiem was fine with that and fine with waiting because he knew sooner or later that'd he have her. Though when he really begun to get to know her better, his young sixteen year old self couldn't help but to fall for her. Within the forth month of their friendship, Citrus had received contacts and got her braces taken off. She had always attracted male attention unbeknownst to her knowledge, but after that? It seemed like every guy needed to be in her face or by her side.