023.

Chapter Twenty-Three.

"You don't mourn those that pass, you envy them." —Citrus M. Hayes

Louisana State University

Whenever death hit the campus; there was this longing stir that lingered within the air. While dark clouds of gray hung over the students, and the staff willowed in their own grief. The soul of the one lost made it's way around each and everyone within that area. Everyone felt it.

Death was straightforward.

It was not a gate to immortality but simply, a departure from life. Inevitable. It laid on your mind in a simple manner when you came to the understanding that when you were put on this Earth, there would be a day where you would be taken from the very place you took your first breath. Whether, from natural causes or in this case; gone too soon— no one lived forever. It was bound to happen, you lived to die.

Or at least that's what Citrus had to tell herself in order to cope.

He had it coming. It just came faster than it should've.

A strong assortment of flowers, photographs, and candles aligned the edge of the football field. All as a way to grieve and pay respects to the fallen student. Behind the memorial, sat a blown up photo of Louisiana State's very own number five; star varsity quarterback, just a freshman. Academically, he might of not been the best person. Though, when it came to sports and his personality? He dominated in all aspects. He was an amazing person, who ultimately deserved better than what had been handed to him. Everyone recognized it, they couldn't argue against it. His body might've been gone but his spirit still remained.

Reese Wilson; always and forever.

"Hey," Miranda took a seat next to Citrus.

The football field was empty. The memorial for the Campus's beloved number five, had ended an hour or so ago, yet Citrus still remained on the bleachers. Lost in her very own thoughts.

"His funeral is this weekend, are you going?"

"I don't think so," Citrus exhaled. "I can't see him in a casket. How about you? How are you taking this?"

"Maintaining," Miranda took a seat beside her. "I don't think I'll be going either, I have no way to get to Virginia anyways. It's weird, I have yet to cry but I can feel it," She pointed to her heart. "I feel it all right here."

"You're probably still in shock," Citrus revealed. "They call that the-

"First stage," Miranda nodded. "I lost my father at sixteen, I'm familiar with it. But this one hit's a little different. My dad died of old age, natural causes. It was his time, you know?" She sniffed. "I can't say the same for Reese though, and that hurts."

"Death is inevitable," Citrus shrugged. "We'll all be gone sooner or later."

"Yeah but it should come after you live," Miranda preached. "You're born, you live, you die. Reese was just a baby, barely touched the surface of living. It was not his time. Plus they did him so dirty. I mean dumping his mutilated body in front of the coach's house? I heard it's going to be a closed casket because that's how bad it was. Whoever it was tortured him Citrus. Like what could he have done that bad? What sane human does that to a person?"

"I'm so sorry you're going through this," Citrus looked to the ground.

"What for?" Miranda scoffed. "Not like you killed him."

"I know I just can't help but to feel your pain. You loved him, didn't you?"

"We were working towards something," She formed a smile. "Something strong, and durable. Our bond was out of this world, I felt connected to him in more ways than one. I knew it was coming, I tried to get him to stay in with me that night because I felt off. I should have tried harder."