018.

Chapter Eighteen.

"Ain't that much love in the world."—Citrus M. Hayes.

Cole Residence

Citrus sat in her parked truck outside of the home of Motrise Cole. It had been months since the two last faced off, Modi leaving Citrus with a bad taste in her mouth. Though, there were things that needed to be addressed and handled, and although this was the last place Citrus wanted to be. She needed help. Help that only a person like Modi could give.

The front door swings open, Modi coming face to face with whom she considered to be one of her biggest challenges. From the day she took her in til now, Citrus was always giving Modi a run for her money. This was because the two were one in the same, and Citrus saw Modi for who she truly was. Modi hated that, she felt like she was at a constant war with a little girl who was exactly that.....a little girl.

Lace robe, hair a mess, eyes low and surrounded by bags, the strong scent of dark Bourbon exuding from off of her. Modi smacks her lips and exhales. Taking in the state of Citrus who looked to be doing just fine. So what did she want, or even need for that matter?

"Can I help you?" She shifted all her weight onto her right leg.

"Bain here?" Citrus peeked into what she could see of the home.

"Nope." Modi stepped aside, allowing her entrance.

"Thank you," Citrus moved inside. It reeked of alcohol and mildew. Taking in the state of it, she could tell it hadn't been cleaned in months. "What the hell?"

"If you're here to judge, then you could just leave," Modi pointed back towards the front door. "Bain is with my Aunt. He's in great care, the twins take him every other week. You would know that if you hadn't abandoned him."

"I didn't abandon him," Citrus argued. "I've been busy."

"A call or something would've been nice," Modi made her way to the kitchen. "You don't just fall off the face of the earth when it comes to a four year old boy."

"I am not here to fight with you Motrise." Citrus followed her lead.

"Well then what are you here for?" Modi moved to the counter that contained her massive alcohol collection.

Placing her purse onto the not so clear Island, Citrus proceeded to take a seat at one of the bar stools. She felt her every move being watched, but she ignored it; up until she was ready to speak.

"I need to know where my money is?" She raised a brow.

"Excuse me?" Modi frowned. "What fuckin' money do I have of yours? Let me tell you something-

"The money that was left for me by my grandmother," Citrus interjected. "It was in her will. So where is it?"

"Oh," Modi relaxed her shoulders. "I don't have it Citrus. Besides, you know that you need your degree first. As written; in order to obtain it that's the negotiation. Or else it's null until you have children of your own," She paused, picking up a bottle of Patron. "Is that what it is? You're pregnant?"

"God no," Citrus moved her face around in distaste. "But I do need that money, and I need it now."

"For what Citrus?" She continued to press. "You're saying a whole bunch of something without saying nothing. What for?"

Silence.

"Oh," She formed a smirk. "You're trying to get away?"

"I can see this was a mistake." Citrus moved from off of the stool.

"Don't leave," Modi halted her movements. "Is he beating you? Do you need some help?"

"I am not leaving my husband," Citrus grew irritated. "And I don't care what you think but I didn't marry another Dewayne. He would never put his hands on me."

Motrise's face fell in disbelief, as she viewed the stern expression marked across Citrus's face. Never the type to lash out, she was definitely taken aback by this new persona Citrus was flaunting. The fact that she was so hell bent on this money was also a red flag, for whatever reason Modi got the impression that it had absolutely nothing to do with Qadir.

"You think that's okay to throw in my face?" Modi inquired. "Dat' man put me through hell."

"And you continued to stay with him."

"He was all I knew. My first, everything. He gave me my first borns and I loved him for that."

"Ain't that much love in the world." Citrus scoffed.

"Well it's different from the outside looking in. Yeah you can judge, but until you're really in the shoes that I was in...you'll never understand."

"I need that money." Citrus continued.

"I wish I can help you but there's no loophole around your grandmother's will. Degree first. Money later."

"Well is Qadir still sending you money for Bain?"

"You want your brother's money?" Modi eyed her in disbelief. "Are you serious?"

"No!" Citrus ran her hands along her face in distress. "You just...you have money saved up, don't you?"

"For emergencies only."

"Great. I think this calls for one," Citrus grabbed for her purse, just as the gears in her head began to spin. "I'm sending you to rehab."

"Tuh," Modi threw her head back in laughter. "The hell you are." She snorted.

"You're an addict Modi," Citrus shook her head. "You need help, and to be better for Bain."

With her husband now on her case, Citrus needed to start covering her tracks. She was the least bit interested in providing Motrise with any type of assistance. Citrus believed that everything Modi was currently going through was her very own dose of prolonged karma. She didn't deserve any help because this is what she asked for. Which was true. Over and over again, for years—this woman had been digging herself into deep dark holes of despair; then later on begging to be pulled out. While, playing victim and pleading for some form of a pity party; when it was all her fault from the start. Modi was a sad excuse for a woman, she came at Citrus for having no back bone when she didn't even have one of her own.

If she did, she would be able to spot the ploy Citrus was laying out for her; but she didn't. Because she was just as naive as she wanted Citrus to be. Just as Citrus believed she would, Modi went right for the bait. Accepting the life- threatening trap, she was leading her straight into.

"What's the catch?" Modi inquired.

"I'm going to move some money around, until then I need you to dig into your savings," Citrus advised. "I have some payments I need to cover and clean up, and I need for you to keep your mouth closed."

"Citrus if you're in trouble than—

"Only person who's in trouble is you. Considering the twins are plotting to take Bain from you," Citrus revealed. "So if you allow me to do this for you all the while keeping your mouth shut. I can assure you that they won't be able too. What do you say?" She raised a daring brow. "You with me?" Her hand outstretched for a shake.

Modi smiled and took Citrus's hand into her's, "How much do you need me to take out?"