Chapter sixteen

Jason wakes up in a somewhat familiar room, blanket draped over him and lying face down, hand besides his face as he lets out a quiet groan.

He hears the clinking of plates and his eyes widen as he realises where he is.

He glances over over the couch cushion but he can't quite catch a glimpse of what's going on.

He sighs under his breath, hair every which way, running his fingers over his face before standing up and silently making his way out of the living room.

"Oh, hi honey!" Misses Rosebud calls with her signature smile from behind the island as she situated breakfast.

"Hi— I am so sorry. I don't keep intending to fall asleep on your couch."

She shakes her head, "Don't worry honey, I told you you're always welcome and that will always hold true. You seemed exhausted in the car anyways, I assumed it would happen sooner or later."

"Thank you."

She nods, "Go take a seat honey, I'm almost finished."

He nods softly and walks into the dining room, immediately sitting besides Astrid.

"You seriously need to stop letting me fall asleep in your house. It's super awkward as in super awkward."

She shakes her head lightly, "Okay, well at least I wasn't snoring or sleep talking."

"Why didn't you just wake me up? I remember you being with me before I fell asleep."

She smirks quietly and he rolls his eyes, "You just let me be a unconscious drool bucket besides you?"

Her grin grows wider and shakes his head, laughing quietly.

She feels her heart start to warm because he was starting to be the Jason she knew again.

She hadn't seen him in a long time.

He would always be Jason to her— it's just now she knows him better.

And he's not perfect, he has scars and problems deeper than the bare eye could see but he was Jason.

That's all she needed, as long as he was him.

                                              •••
Jason gently pulls open Astrid's window, clambering through before landing sleepily on the floor with a thud, followed by a groan before he stands quietly.

Astrid sits on her bed, watching him as he gently closes the window turning to her.

"Hey, are you okay?"

She shrugs lightly, lifting the blanket for him to sit.

He shuffles over, gently sitting besides her, yawning quietly, before adjusting the blanket over his legs, shaking his head to clear the drowsiness.

She must've woken him up.

She hasn't expected him to get her text, it was nearly three in the morning.

He seems to read her, because he nods, "I was asleep, yes, but I keep my phones besides me and completely on now. I wouldn't forgive myself."

He doesn't have to go into detail, she already knew what he was talking about.

She hadn't forgiven herself either.

"Anyways," He murmurs through a yawn, blue doe eyes droopy with exhaustion, "Do you want me to tell you a story?"

She nods softly and he hums, laying down, patting besides him.

But she lays down, head rested on his chest, sighing softly.

She listens to him intake a shaky breath, before letting it out heavily.

She immediately pulls away, looking down at him and he shakes his head.

"You're okay, I just wasn't ready for that."

She nods softly before hesitantly resting her head against his chest.

She can hear his heart fluttering and she know it's not because he enjoys being in close proximity but he doesn't complain, wrapping his arm around her before sighing quietly.

"Once there was this little boy—"

But she shakes her head stopping him.

The story wasn't going to help, she knew that much.

"I don't know what else to do, I can sing or something but I might permanently damage your ears."

But she nods, readjusting against his chest, and he sighs, taking a deep breath.

"Pack yourself a toothbrush dear, pack yourself a favourite blouse. Take a withdrawal slip, pull all of your savings out. 'Cause if we don't leave this town, we might never make it out—"

That's all Astrid can head before suddenly, she's fast asleep against the chest of Jason blossom.