Chapter nineteen

Astrid watches Jason as he sorts through his school work, tugging his fingers through the floppy waves of his still slightly damp hair.

She watches his pink lips mouth the words slightly that his crystal eyes skim over, mahogany eyebrows furrowed adorably.

She can see the frustration— it was evident in his confused features.

His pencil had barely moved in fifteen minutes and his frown only grew deeper each time he'd read the line.

Over and over he read the stupid question before he'd skip down, only to end up coming back in a deeper confusion than before.

The scarlet haired boy was exhausted— drained physically and mentally to the point where he could no longer hide it.

And so, Astrid watches him struggle with his problem for a few moments longer, before quietly sliding down to sit besides him.

She takes the now still pencil from his fingertips, gently writing out the steps in order a few different ways.

It seems to click for a moment but the light in his eyes is soon gone once again and he slumps down in despair, quietly moving the papers out of his way.

He sighs, taking in a frustrated and shaky breath, resting his head on her shoulder quietly.

She just kisses his forehead, patting down his locks of wild hair, twirling the mane of cherry strands around her fingertips.

He feels himself growing more weary and exhausted by the second.

"I feel so unbelievably and uncomprehendingly shitty, Astrid."

She gently presses her fingertips to his forehead, frowning in confusion before pressing her palm to his forehead.

He sighs lightly, nuzzling against her further, "Not like that."

She freezes for a moment before turning to him, gently pressing her lips to the top of his head before wrapping her arms around him as the crackling of the fire in the mantle burns before them.

She can hear his breaths growing deeper by the second and she only pulls him tighter against her.

Trying to comfort him in the way he had for her.

It's what they do, she thinks as Jason begins to slump more heavily against her, it's what they would always do for as long as she could help it.
•••
Astrid makes her way up the staircase of the manor, finding Jason's door closed. She quietly pushes the door open, poking her head, glancing around to find Jason fast asleep, arm dangling over the bed as he sleeps.

Astrid comes into the room fully, closing the door behind her before shrugging out of her jacket, taking off her shoes and setting her purse besides it.

He was just as exhausted as he'd been just a few days ago when she was with him while he did his work.

She knew he was slipping further, no matter how well he hid it.

She gently takes Jason's hand from the ground, lifting it and moving it over lightly, before his eyes peak open looking at her in confusion before it seems to click in his head.

"M'sorry, let's get going—"

But she's her head softly, motioning for him to scoot over. He does as he's told, scooting over as Astrid lies besides him, letting his arm draped around her tiny waist.

She glances up at him, his eyes are closed but there's a frown on his lips, "Your ribs are more prominent, have you been eating?"

His eyes open glancing down at her and she shrugs quietly.

He just sighs, tugging her closer to him, resting his chin on the top of her head.

"Why are you taking a nap with me? The Astrid I met that first day wouldn't dare take a nap instead of getting what she wants."

And all Astrid can think, is, perhaps, I'm not the same Astrid anymore. 

She only shrugs, burrowing her face against his chest, sighing softly.

And together, the fall asleep to the cloud of snow that begins to pour down the window.

                                              •••
Cheryl quietly tip toes into Jason's room, his door was open which was a rarity, but it had also been a rarity that he was asleep past six in the morning.

She tip toes around his room, before her eyes land on the set of keys besides him on the nightstand.

She gentle picks them up, only for them to produce an awful clanking noise besides him.

Cheryl freezes, but Jason hardly moves.

She turns to walk out but then his sleepy voice pipes up quietly, "Where're you going?"

She turns around, and she knows he's still asleep, "Don't worry about it."

It takes him a few moments to respond but he murmurs drowsily, "It's snowy, Cherry."

"It's okay."

"B-but the ice."

She pats down his locks of hair, and he hums tiredly, "I'll drive you."

"Sleep, big brother."

"No. I want you safe," his voice is whiny and sweet like a small boys.

"I'll be safe," She whispers, kissing his forehead.

"But Cherry-"

"I'll be safe," She whispers, brushing away the strands from his eyes, "I promise you."