Chapter thirty nine

Jason has been awake for a while- just laying on their bed as the sun soaks through the curtains. It casts golden shadows all around the room and he just wishes he could stay there forever.

He's still wrapped in Astrid's koala bear hold as her warm breaths fan against his tee shirt. He hasn't made a move to check if she's still asleep, and though he doubts she is, her breaths aren't controlled, they're calm and slow.

"It's big," She says, jerking him away from his thoughts, "You asked me to cuddle with you yesterday. I held you all night and whenever I woke up you were still sound asleep and your heart wasn't pounding."

"I know," He murmurs, voice raspy and thick, "I- I love you. I just love you a lot. A... And I'm just really happy you're still here with me. I know I haven't made it easy."

"I haven't either," She says gently, pressing a feathery kiss between his shoulder blades, "I love you- and I know I say that a lot but every time I look at you- I swear, it's like I'm seeing you for the first time." 

He turns under her hold, facing her body to wrap his own arms around her, kisses her forehead.

Despite the intimacy of the situation it's so innocent and pure that Jason only smiles with bright teeth, pressing soft kisses all over her face.

"What're you thinking about?" She murmurs, smiling at him after they've lied silently for a while, drinking each other in.

"How lucky I am," He says, finally, a few moments of hesitation clouding the air, "How much I love your freckles."

Her cheeks flush and Jason just sighs, tucking his face under her chin, pulling her closer.

"How lucky you are?" She asks gently, "How luck am I?"

"How lucky are we," He corrects, cheeks flushing at the oddly vulnerable sentiment.

She nods, "How lucky are we."

                                  »»»

Jason watches his girlfriend with a grin as she chews on the lace of his grey hoodie, breathing staring at the puzzle before her.

"What're you looking at?"

"You," He answers blatantly, "Just looking at you. I love you."

Her cheeks, flush but her eyes turn serious, "How're you feeling?"

He nods softly, "Better. I think it was the fighting in close spaces."

Her green eyes turn guilty, flickering back down to the puzzle, and he gently takes her hand that had been trying to assemble the left ear of the bat they're putting together.

"It's my fault as much as it is yours. You're not allowed to feel guilty. It takes two people to fight, please remember that, my love."

She nods softly, bringing his hand to her lips, holding his hand as she continues the puzzle.

His fingers unknowing slip into the hoodie of his navy blue jacket, fiddling around with the diamond ring in his pocket.

And if the view was so beautiful that he forgot to ask a particular question? Well, no one had to know.

They didn't have to be in a rush anyways.

It occurs to Jason later that night, his eyes slipping shut, perched against Astrid's, that rests upon his own shoulder.

He glances down, lifting his head a fraction of a centimetre to hear the quiet breaths slipping from Astrid's parted lips that tell him she's fast asleep.

He gently picks up her hand, taking off the ring he'd given her at the lake, putting it on his lap before slipping the sliver diamond band around her finger.

Her admirers it, the way it glints on the moonlight. The way the delicate J carved into the band looks like it belongs against her skin.

He has to steady himself, taking a few deep breaths as he realises- he has yet to ask her anything at all.

And so carefully, he slips the ring off over her fingers, pressing it to his lips before tucking it back into his pocket with a soft sigh.

He settles his back against the couch, gently tucking the hair that dangles over the sides of her face behind her ear, kissing her forehead gently.

She shuffled, shoving her cheeks until she resembles a fish, humming quietly, before exhaling in a breathy whisper, "I love you."

"And I love you."

                                  »»»
"You can't do this to yourself," Her gentle voice floats through the apartment, soon followed by soft hands on shoulders and a gentle kiss to the forehead.

"I'm fine."

"Those Prada bags you call under-eyes tell me differently."

He rolls his eyes, fingers shuffling through his hair.

"Its fine."

"You don't have to lie to me, my love," She whispers, sitting down gently on his sweatpants clad lap, "It's okay to struggle."

"Don't I know it," He huffs, hands moving from his paper work to wrap around her waist, almost absently.

Her expression turns undeniably crestfallen, but she quickly cover it, lips pulled into a tight smile.

Jason's lips begin to form an apology, but he's cut off,

"An hour," She states these words as a matter of fact, not a suggestion, tugging him towards the couch in the corner of his office, "It starts when you're asleep, and you're not moving until the hours up."

She sits down, resting a pillow in her lap, before he lays down uncoordinatedely onto his lap.

His eyes fall shut as soon as he reaches the pillow, and Astrid pulls her fingers through his hair gently, kissing his forehead.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?"

And if he woke up with all the papers filled out, with neat post it notes stuck to them, he would humour his loving wi- girlfriend, and pretend to believe her when she said he did them last night after he woke up.