Chapter Ten

Old school classics played throughout Katrina's kitchen as she prepared the last batch of lobster macaroni and cheese. She swayed her hips as Cory sampled Candice' sweet potato pie.

"Cory, what the hell do I keep telling you about sampling every year?" Katrina laughed shooing him away from the pie.

"Shit, I don't know. If we being honest, I should be the one testing everything since y'all have a brotha' starving for the majority of the damn day." Cory said smacking on a piece of pie crust.

"At least save some for Tamia, she should be on her way in a few minutes. And, sample my macaroni and I'll beat your ass." Katrina warned poking at his chest.

Cory smacked his lips. " Sis, hook me up with some snacks or something, shit. I feel myself getting dizzy." He sighed. Katrina laughed.

"Cory you are being dramatic. Girl, I got him, you got take your call." Candice smiled handing over her phone.

"You sure? I still have to help you with a few things-" She quickly washed her hands and dried them.

"And, you will. So, answer the phone your family is calling you." Candice said popping Cory's shoulder.

"I'll be in the living room." Katrina smiled. "Hey, where are you and my bestie?" She asked looking at the time.

"I am walking up to her mom's spot right now. Please don't cuss me out for being a little late Monica is a pain." Hearing Nate's annoyance made her sigh.

"Take your time, there are a few things that need to be in order.  So, I can use the extra time, love." She smiled at the cute name.

"Alright, gorgeous that sounds good with me." Nate knocked on the door as he heard yelling. "I am gonna call you back when we get in the car, okay?" He lowered his tone.

"Sure." Katrina ended the call. "Cory back away from the pie, man!" She shouted.

⬛⬛⬛

Nate used the spare key under the rug to get into the house when he heard Monica's continuous yelling along with Tamia's cries. He sighed in frustration of not being able to get the door open as fast as he wanted. Her voice boomed making it clear enough for him to hear.

"I TOLD YOU TO SIT YOUR NAPPY HEADED ASS DOWN AND STOP TOUCHING SHIT THAT DON'T BELONG TO YOU! DID I OR DID I NOT?" Monica shouted a few notches over Tamia's cries. "GET FROM UNDER THAT FUCKING TABLE!" She shouted.

"I told this bitch about her tone when she speaking to my fucking daughter." Nate's hands shook from anger making him break the key in the lock. "Fuck." He cursed.

"I WANT MY DADDY!"  Tamia's sobbed.

"CALL HIS ASS TO COME GET YOU THEN! TOUCH MY NIGGAS FOOD AGAIN AND I WILL BEAT YOUR ASS!" A loud door slam made the windows shake Nate peaked through the window and tapped on it lightly.

Tamia wiped her eyes and crawled from underneath the dining room table. As she made her way towards the window she caught the image of her father.

"Daddy?" Tamia squinted her eyes and sniffled.

He motioned for her to open the door. Tamia quietly unlocked it and stepped aside to let him in.

"Tamia, baby are you hurt?" Nate said before picking his baby girl up he was sure to examine her limbs.

"No, but I am hungry. She won't let me eat anything and I'm thirsty." Tamia cried softly.

"Okay, I think I know somewhere where we can get all your favorites. And, there might be some people you like but I wanna see that pretty smile first." Nate whispered.