He paid his... what?!

A fire monster stood in his bar, polishing a whine glass as his guests ate breakfast. The big building was nearly empty, a lunch rush only an hour away. During this quiet period, Grillby enjoyed cleaning up, getting to the chores he didn't often have enough time to complete. He set his rag down, and returned the fresh glass to a shelf underneath the scarlet bar. He walked into the kitchen, putting away a few just-cleaned plates. Cream colored cabinet doors swung open, the sudden movement causing Grillby to jump, nearly dropping each and every white plate in the process. He set his small stack onto the counter, doing a 180 to face his obnoxious boyfriend.

"Sans how many times must I ask you not to sneak up on me?" The taller male shifted his weight, placing a hand on his hip. He stood with a stern expression for a moment, but broke the second he made eye contact with his little skeleton.

Sans and Grillby shared a laugh, the jumble of sentient bones running into Grillby's arms as soon as the bartender opened them. Sans giggled as his face was filled with color, his eyes gradually closing as he hugged his lover closer.

"I've missed you, Sans." Grillby whispered quietly, his giggly tone filled with so much emotion.

Sans looked up at him, placing a hand on his cheek. With a worn out smile Sans leaned closer, their foreheads resting against one another. "I've missed you too, Grillbz."

The past two weeks Sans had been working with very few breaks, but he refused to tell Grillby why. Little did he know, Sans had quite a surprise planned. With the gold he earned underground, and all the cash he earned in the last year, he finally had enough. The skeleton wrapped his arms around his fiery lover's neck, pulling him into a passionate kiss. Seconds turned into minutes, both proving that they indeed missed one another.

Sans was the one to pull back, taking a hold of Grillby's hands and twiddling with his fingers. He gave him a little tug, guiding him back into the bar. "C'mon, I have a surprise for ya."

Grillby followed as he was instructed, excited to finally discover what Sans had been working so hard for. His eyes threatened to fall out of his head when he Saw Papyrus and Frisk bringing bags of money around the bar. In total, there was seven 10 pound bags (4.5ish kilograms each). All of which had a label saying "Sans' Tab money" on the side. They finished bringing the bags in, a small pile sitting on the inside of the bright orange bar.

Grillby looked at Sans who had a hand behind his head, a nervous smile on his face. Sans lifted his left hand, all the bags levitating into the kitchen. Afterwards, Frisk and Papyrus giggled, hands covering their mouths as they watched Grillby's jaw fall slack. The fiery bartender seemed to not have yet processed what was happening. His eyes trailed Papyrus and Frisk as they left waving, his own hand raising in the slightest in response. Finally, as if a light bulb appeared above his head, Grillby yelled with tears in his eyes. "Finally!"

Sans' eyes went dark for a moment as Grillby lunged at him, pulling him into the air and twirling in circles laughing and crying.

"Yes! Finaaallllllyyyyy!!!" Grillby's voice had tripled in volume by the time he finished twirling. The few people in the bar stared with confusion, leaving Sans to fill them in as Grillby pulled his tiny skeleton close to his chest.

As the air was pushed out of his figurative lungs, Sans managed to speak. "I-I paid my tab." All the regulars understood instantly, only a few still lost. Regardless, everyone went back to their own conversations, Sans' attention returning to the monster squeezing him tight. "I love ya too Grillby, but I gotta breathe." He mused.

Without loosening his hold of Sans, Grillby waved a hand and called out to an employee. "Hey Andre! I'll be right back, watch over the bar in my absence, alright?"

Busy writing down an order, Andre nodded his acknowledgement. "You got it!"

Grillby lead Sans back into the kitchen, the door closing softly behind them. The brown door clicked shut, little light coming from the back of the room. Though, it's light was drowned out by Grillby's fiery glow. The rest of the lights were shut off, a way to preserve power usage.

"What, am I in trouble or somethin?" Sans asked with the tilt of his head. He looked up at Grillby who had an unreadable expression. The glare in his glasses didn't help either. His normal stance was off, and his hands were shaking, Sans was really beginning to worry about his flaming bartender.

Grillby took a really long breath, releasing it in the form of a relieved sigh. Such a simple breath relaxed the skeleton instantly. "I can't believe...you actually paid your tab..." He mumbled, then looked down at Sans. "I'm not upset-I'm so happy...you-I didn't expect-today!" Grillby burst into laughter, pulling Sans into a hug. "Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome Grillbz." Sans smiled, hugging Grillby in return. "I've worked my tailbone off for ya, so it feels amazing knowing it was worth it."

"Sans, everything you do is worth it." Grillby teased lovingly, poking at his blushing cheekbones. "I didn't think you could make me happier, but here you are, proving me wrong. I love you so much, my adorable blue skeleton."

"I love you too Grillby." Sans' tone shifted to a serious one, emphasizing his emotions.

Grillby leaned down, holding Sans cheek bones with both hands. A giddy smile took over his face, red flames reaching high in the air as happiness flooded his soul. Even after their mouths parted, the bartender's face lingered near.

The blue faced skeleton opened his eyes, whispering to his clingy flames. "Hey, I promised Frisk and Papyrus that I'd do something with them today, can we pick this up after your shift?"

Grillby sighed, seeming defeated. Sans turned to leave, but found himself stuck in Grillby's arms once again.

The fiery monster wrapped his arms around Sans' torso, sneaking a kiss on his skeleton's neck. Just as Sans tried to get him back, Grillby wrapped an arm around his shoulder and walked him out. He stood with his back straight, out of range for the short skeleton. He snickered to Sans' pouting expression, then felt a heavy weight on his soul.

Sans flicked his wrist, and Grillby was yanked downward, his soul glowing a bright blue from within his chest. Sans placed his other hand on Grillby's neck, kissing him with a smirk. He was fully aware that the fire monster was annoyed, but that only made it more fun. Sans reached under the counter, picking up a bottle of ketchup on his way around the bar. He headed for the door, waving goodbye as the amber planked door swung open.

"Love you" Sans mouthed as he vanished from sight.

"AWWWWW!"

Grillby jumped at the sudden squeal, relaxing when his worker appeared beside him. "You two are just the cutest thing!" Andre giggled, trying to keep his fanboying to a minimal around his boss. He froze in place when Grillby's flames began to change colors, switching to shades of blue rather than orange.

Grillby continued to stare at the door like a love sick puppy. His blue flames matching the glow of Sans' magic, his fire hot to the touch as Love's warmth swelled within his soul.

"Blue's a good color for you, Boss!" The blond worker hid his snicker, tears in his eyes. Soon Andre joined Liam, both hysterically laughing at their flamin' boss.

Fire cackled as the blue swirls nipped at the air, Grillby's color only deepening once he caught sight of his hands. He leaned on the bar hiding his flustered face in his hands.

Liam and Andre cleared their throats, though their expressions showed that they were indeed struggling to stifle their laughter. The two stared, saying 'awww' in unison this time 'round.

Grillby managed to cool down, clearing his own throat. "Back to work." He said, completely disregarding their comments, his own expression hard to maintain.

The two humans soluted while they linked arms, rushing into the kitchen to prepare orders.

The fire elemental picked up his rag, polishing his next glass and hummed and soft, melodic tune. His soul fluttered as he thought about how hard Sans had been working the past few weeks. Grillby's flames stayed warmer than usual as his thoughts were solely occupied with his little skeleton. He'd been gone for five minutes, and Grillby already missed him.