Valentina:

The fire alarm goes off again. 

"Oh, fuck!" I hear him slam the pot on the sink, water running. "Fuck fuck fuckity fuck." He says it underneath his breath, punctuating each word with a splash of water. I turn up the television. I look at the wall in front of me, praying that maybe he'll deal with it on his own. I won't have to intervene and we won't have to say anything to each other. "Valentina!"

Standing up, I walk over to the kitchen, making sure not to step on discarded chew toys lying on the rug. 

Jesse is standing at the sink, hands clasping the counter. The smell of burnt engulfs my nostrils. I walk over to the sink and turn the water all the way up. He jumps back. 

"Watch it you"-

"You what?" I snap at him. "You what? I dare you to finish that sentence, Jesse."

"Nothing. You know I'd never say anything bad to you Val gal." His old nickname for me is sarcastic on his tongue. It makes my stomach curl into a ball and tears prick my eyes, but I blink quickly and turn away.

Grabbing the sponge from the bowl on the sink, I begin to clean his mess. Like always. HIs feeble attempts at cooking are burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pot. 

"I'm sorry I'm such a fuck up cook. How about you kiss me and make it better?" Something he would've said before, but now he just hovers next to me, arms crossed.