Jesse:

"Goodnight Val gal." I hang up, letting the phone fall from my bed while I lean back and rest my head on the pillow. Things would've been so easy if I'd met Valentina first. I don't even know what it was. I always wanted to be in the same room with her. I always wanted to see her smile. And I still remembered the way her breath had spilled over my cheek at the club, her legs warm around my knee. She smelled like lime and something else. I can't stop thinking about the smell.

Lee left like an hour ago. She'd been acting weird, and then today she had shown up out of the blue with some takeout and we'd watched Netflix and then made out for a while before her sister had called. Lee was a cool girl. Sometimes I was even scared to tell her something just because of what her reaction might be.

If Lee was cool, then Valentina was a ball of fire. Every time she came near me I felt like something filled my lungs. And Valentina was sweet, even dorky sometimes. She didn't give a shit about what other people thought.

I sit up in bed, unable to sleep. Why had her phone call right now sucked the sleep out of my brain? I was so intent on having an early night.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Valentina bursts into my place bright and early the next day. Fine, early for me.

I'm standing by, and she's standing there. Somehow things are more awkward than the last time. Valentina finally breaks the silence. "So I'm trying to figure out how you could send me an almost nude and then act like it's for Lee."

"Please tell me detective, what have you figured out?" I feel a smile coming on, but Valentina doesn't seem to get it.

"You know she would kill us."

I clear my throat. "She would kill me. You're her best friend. I feel like you'd get more lenience" Valentina sits in my couch, and I grab her hand. "There's a bagel place right down the street. I'm fucking starving, what about you?"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Valentina:

We walk quietly to the place and Jesse orders both of the specials for us. We're both wearing sunglasses so I feel momentarily hidden, until we sit to eat outside and Jesse pushes his up. I follow, but I take a small nervous bite of my bagel and feel my eyes glance everywhere. "I can't believe we're just eating here like it's nothing. Does Lee know about this place too?"

"Too many calories. And bacon." Jesse takes a piece out from his sandwich and bites into it with a super dramatic groan. I take another bite and have to admit the sandwich is tasty. "You have a little..." Jesse's finger knocks against my chin, wiping away a smear of cheese I hadn't even noticed. He sucks his finger casually, leaning back. "Listen Val, I don't want you to think I am like this with anyone." Jesse pauses, huffing and leaning forward. "I honestly think maybe someone should kick me in the balls for being an asshole. I never meant for this to happen. I mean, if I had met you before Lee"-

"Jesse,"-

"I think it's shitty and I would like to tell you that I was just drunk and I didn't mean to kiss you except..." A woman exiting the place walks past us and drops something. All I see is Jesse pick it up and call after her, standing up and walking the short distance to give it back. Of course he's sweet.

I talk when he gets back. "I think things would've been different if we'd met before you'd met Lee. But this is shit Jesse. She's my best friend."