ix

"what?" i ask, shaking myself out of my thoughts.

"you cannot go back," he breathes. "and i am telling you, do not go back,"

he lifts his head, inching closer to me. "i'm begging you."

"i don't plan to." i say, finding it hard to breathe.

"i want to help you but i don't know how. i feel like it's almost worse if you stay with me, because gray always comes to me. i mean he is my brother..." anger fills his eyes once more.

"ethan i'm sorry..."

"why are you sorry? i should be sorry! this is my brother i should have seen this coming i should have guessed it i was so dumb, i'm so fucking dumb!" he slams the dashboard once more.

i grab his fist, "stop it, stop it right now. just because i'm hurt doesn't mean you need to hurt yourself. that won't help anything. it'll just make things worse because then i'll be nursing the both of us." i chuckle slightly.

"no," he says, placing his hand over mine, gently brushing his thumb over the bruises. "i am going to nurse you." we look at each other, and fear churns in my stomach. for all i know, he could be just like grayson if i really got involved with him.

"what do i do?" i choke out. he sighs.

"let's just sleep here tonight. i'll text gray and tell him i just decided to stay at the girl's house overnight."

"you want to sleep in a car?"

"i want to make sure you're safe." he assures, looking down at the phone screen as it illuminates his face, accenting his chiseled features.

that night, i get as comfortable as i can in the back seat, and he does so in the front. luckily, i had a blanket in the trunk, and i gave it to ethan. in my deep sleep, i feel it being lazily draped over my body.

"you were shivering." he says as i open my eyes the slightest bit. god, did he look uncomfortable.

"you can go. i'll be okay." i whisper tiredly.

"no fucking way." i hear him say as i close my eyes once again.

cutting into my dreams, a loud sound against the car causes my eyes to shoot open. my thoughts immediately go to the fact that someone could be wanting to rob me, but when i look, grayson is standing at the window with a wicked smile on his damned perfect face. he wiggles his fingers in a wave like motion toward me.

"morning, princess."