xvii

"you put on quite a show in there." grayson says from the driver seat. i opted to sit in the passenger, and ethan got stuck in the back, but he hung on to every word we said to each other.

"yeah." i mutter, looking out the window.

"can't you look at me when i'm talking to you?"

"i have nothing to say to you grayson."

"well i do, vivian." he hisses my name, grabbing my wrist from the center console. i gasp.

"i can't fucking believe you." ethan interjects, pulling grayson's hand off of me. he nearly swerved off the road, but steadied out once the car became silent.

when he parked the tesla in the driveway, the three of us get out, and i convince ethan to let my husband and i talk for a couple of minutes.

"i got it." i whisper to him, and when his fingertips brush my arm, i stop for a moment. gray stands in front of the garage expectantly. i stride over to him, breathing in and out deeply as he begins to talk.

"what, you're fucking my brother now?" he asks right away, and my blood starts to boil.

"oh my god, of course not, grayson. that would be so wrong." well, it was mostly true. we had been intimate but we hadn't had sex. that was an okay thing, right? of course not.

he rolls his eyes as if he doesn't believe me. i glance over at ethan and a fake look of pain is written on his face. i want to smile. laugh. fall into his arms and let him kiss me. my eyes lock back with grayson's.

"oh yeah, and you blocked me, saw that too. you think you're so clever." he crosses his muscular arms, the same arms that i used to love sleeping in. he's being freakishly calm.

"and you are?" i spat, staring intently at him.

"i'm the one with the balls in this relationship," he says, pointing at finger at his chest, "if you can even call it that anymore."

"you? you have balls? grayson. you beat me, you fucking beat me until i nearly bled to death once. you abuse me mentally and emotionally. that proves nothing except the fact that you have no balls. none. zip. i left. i fucking picked myself up and i left grayson, because i was done, i wasn't going to belittle myself anymore to please you. i am sick, and tired, of giving you everything i have in life only to be tossed around like i am nothing. i am not nothing. i thought at one point in my life you knew that, but apparently you don't know shit! love is staring you right in the face and you just give it a fucking black eye!" i turned on my heel, ready to walk away, to leave him in my dust, when suddenly a sharp pain erupts in the back of my head.

i'm thrown to the ground and grayson is towering over me.

"don't you ever, ever, speak that way to me again you little-"

suddenly, ethan is between us, shoving his brother away from me.

"the fuck is wrong with you? you think this shows you're a fucking man? huh? what if dad fucking sees, what about mom, you want mom to fucking see this?" he shoves him once more.

"do you?!" i cradle my head in my hands, struggling to sit upright.

grayson shoves ethan back, harder than expected.

"you don't get it man."

"what the fuck don't i get? that you're suppose to beat the woman you love? you're suppose to treat her like shit? that that is what makes you a fucking man?"

i look over to see grayson staring at me. i meet his gaze with nothing but defeat, and it seems to click. his face drops, his eyes soften, then glisten. he holds his head in his hands, slowly falling to his knees.

my heart shatters in my chest. i shut my eyes against the sight of the him. i can't stand this, any of it.

"what have i done," he croaks, "e...e bro what did i do?"

"you fucked up." he says, hard and cold.

i lose it. i sob so loud it burns my insides. i can't stop, i can't breathe.

ethan rushes to my side scooping me up in one swift movement. he carries me to the car, placing me inside.

"baby don't go," grayson calls, stumbling to his feet. "viv come back!"

i cover my ears, my head in my hands. someone get me the fuck out of here.

grayson throws himself against my window making me jump. i can't look at him.

"baby...vivian baby please, please give me another chance, please, please baby girl don't leave me please!"

i grip my hair in my hands, get me out.

sean comes rushing out of his own vehicle after having just pulled up for a reason that i'm unaware of, and ethan is already coming around the car. he tells him to get gray away from the window, when questioned he only repeats the order.

he hops into the driver's seat, starting the car immediately.

"vivian!" i hear grayson scream.

please.

"vivian!"

just let me go.

"what about the baby!"

"fucking drive!" i scream, and we're off, once again.

ethan slams the brakes as soon as he finds a safe place to pull over.

"a baby?!" he exclaims, shock covering his face.

"yes." i answer.

"you're pregnant?!" he asks, his eyes almost popping out of his skull.

"no..." i answer.

"what," he asks, breathing harder this time. "what do you-"

"i lost it okay, i lost the baby." i fall against the seat, my head against the window, my hand over my mouth.

"you lost the baby..." he's so quiet, too quiet.