xiii

walking cautiously down the hall, i spot ethan at the kitchen counter, eating cereal and scrolling through his phone. his hair was messy and his stubble was more apparent in this light. i watched his jaw clench with every bite, exposing that beautiful famous jawline.

"did you leave your jersey in my room?" i piped up, holding my towel closer to me.

ethan turned to me, almost dropping his phone and his spoon full of cereal. i smiled shyly.

"no i uh, i washed your clothes and it didn't seem like you had any pajamas so i uh, thought i'd lend you something to wear." now his cheeks were flushed.

"thanks, for all of that really, i just didn't want to assume anything i thought i'd just ask to make sure."

"yeah, it's cool." he says with a small smile. i smile shyly and head back down the hall.

i put everything in order, leaving just me and the jersey. i gently ran my fingers down the front, across the large white eight and the light blue mesh. picking it up, i slowly slid it over my head, letting it fall onto my body, a wave of ethan's scent rushing by me in the process. the scent made my mouth water, clear back to my throat. it was the scent of a man, a true man, with a hint of cedarwood. i lifted it to my nose, inhaling it even more. you had to close your eyes to truly take it all in. i imagined ethan, stepping out the shower, the smell pouring out behind him, coating him, coating me.

"it looks good on you."

i open my eyes coughing out a choke to see ethan standing in the doorway, a smirk on his lips.

"thank you...thank you." i breathe, and i know i'm the flustered one this time.

"you wanna take a bow too?" he teases, his eyes glued to me, the smirk everlasting.

"only if you ask nicely." i shoot back, giving him a smirk of my own.

"i would, but last i checked, princesses don't bow." and with that, he slipped into his own room.

during the night, i tossed and turned. it was definitely weird sleeping in a bed that, one, wasn't mine, and two, i was alone in. i looked out the window, a view of the backyard pond underneath the late night. i begin to think of ethan. the two of us leaving our clothes on the grass we slip into the water- stop! what are you doing, vivian? you're still married, and you cannot be having these thoughts about his brother of all people!

i don't think i got to sleep until two in the morning. my head was filled with nightmares of an angry grayson, but he would suddenly switch to a man so nice and loving, it was hard to be angry at him.

"vivian,"

"vivian,"

"viv!" my name is being yelled. i turn over in bed, not wanting to open my eyes. the fact that i am being shook isn't helping.

"what?" i grumble. ethan is standing over me. i can smell him.

"you were yelling and thrashing around. are you okay?" genuine concern fills his voice.

"i'm sorry," i sit up, leaning against the headboard as he sits on the bed, looking at me. that's when i notice how tousled his hair and t-shirt are.

fuck, he's hot.

"i didn't mean to wake you up, i just had a nightmare it's alright."

"if you're sure. i'll be making pancakes if you're hungry." he winks before walking out the room, leaving me with my thoughts and...

i've been crying.

my cheeks are wet, and my nose is plugged. i get up to go into the bathroom, splashing my face with cold water. i pull my hair into a messy bun, going to join ethan in the kitchen. i clear my throat so he knows i'm here. he turns his head as he's standing at the stove.