19 · The Aftertaste of Donuts

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

19 · The Aftertaste of Donuts

"Why didn't you give either of us a call? We would have gotten you," Mikaela expressed with an obvious worried tint in her blue-green eyes.

As Monday rolled in, I walked to the school's front entrance with Mikaela and Eric. The aftermath of the Father-Daughter — or Solo Daughter dance — wasn't exactly a pretty picture. When my dad had called my mom about my whereabouts that night, she was upset at the fact that he wasn't with me.  

My dad didn't stop with the countless phone calls and even started to bother Mom on top of that. Neither of us answered since Mom knew that I wanted space. Besides, she wasn't in understanding terms with him at the moment either. The last voicemail my dad left was that he would be stopping by the house later today. 

If I didn't want to speak to him through the phone, how would seeing him make the situation any better? 

When my friends asked about the dance, there wasn't much to spill about except that I had more interaction with the food on the table than on the dance floor. Looks of disappointment when they heard that my dad ditched me remained permanent on their faces, but I managed to keep my composure well. I should have expected the outcome anyway. 

Bringing up Drew Larkin's random appearance had Mikaela and Eric amused though. I cracked a joke about how Drew actually attended the dance just to lighten up the solemn mood.  

Although I was hesitant about telling them where I headed to after the dance, I felt like an awful friend if I had kept it a secret. The two were wide eyes to discover that I took a taxi over to Joshua's house. Even though it would have been more logical to call one of them, I just wasn't thinking straight at the time. 

Speaking of that Smiley Idiot, Joshua was kind enough to take me back home without making the situation any weirder than it already was. As much as I attempted to deny it myself, it was difficult to erase these thoughts about him. Everything from that night had me all over the place, making these feelings towards Joshua Anderson like a new horizon.  

Shaking the thoughts of my locker buddy away, I attempted to be reasonable. "I didn't know if you two were busy. I really don't want you guys worrying about me." 

Eric, whose bruisings were close to gone, was in the middle of placing his car keys into his backpack before he commented, "Whenever you say that, it makes me worry even more." 

Mikaela nodded in agreement before bringing up, "We don't like seeing you down. You don't have to hide it, you know." 

After thanking Eric who opened the door for us, I asked incredulously, "Is it that obvious?" 

"To us, yeah," Eric mentioned as we headed to our lockers, "we're here for you." 

When we made a stop to Eric's locker, I smiled genuinely at his words.  

The amount of gratitude I had towards my friends was unexplainable. Even though they were out of the loop concerning my dad — only because I was stubborn to keep it all bottled up — I knew that they supported me through thick and thin.  

"I'll always remember that," I then questioned the two. "Enough about my weekend, how was yours?" 

Mikaela answered this time, "Well, I kind of dragged Eric to watch that movie with me. I just couldn't wait anymore!" 

Nodding knowingly in response, Mikaela wouldn't stop rambling about this romantic-comedy film that was recently released in the theaters a few days ago. Glancing over at Eric, I couldn't help but feel a crooked smile rise on my lips.