20 · The Defense Mechanisms

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

20 · The Defense Mechanisms

Eric Park 2:51 PM: No, he's not working today. Something about a recital. What's up? 

Glancing through Eric's text as I waited for the stoplight to turn green, I ignored that Joshua was practicing with Beverly right now according to what Eric said. 

The moment the light changed, I tossed my phone to the passenger seat. I texted Eric to make sure that Joshua wasn't home since I planned to drop off the photos there. The wait seemed long overdue. As I drove, I lost focus because fragments of my previous conversation with Joshua lingered.  

Just when I thought I was starting to know Joshua better, he pulled this on me. 

Slamming my hand on the wheel, I remarked bitterly, "What is his problem!" 

Even though I wanted to stay mad at Joshua for being rude — an asshole — pushing me away — breaking off our friendship, I couldn't stop thinking about how he emphasized this particular friend, and these "other problems" of his. 

Catching the familiar outline of the Anderson household, I parked against the curb and cut off the engine. Before I got out, I texted Eric back, thanking and telling him that I was just curious. Grabbing the paper bag I initially had planned for all the Anderson's to see, I locked my car and headed down the paved walkway. 

Taking a deep breath, I rang the doorbell and waited. The door knob nudged before Roselle appeared from the white painted door. Behind her were the three kids. 

"It's Olivia!" the trio chimed. 

Flashing them a smile, I noticed the surprised tint in Roselle's eyes since I did come with a lack of notice. I should have thought about this first. 

Roselle's face had softened before she greeted, "Olivia, it's good to see you." 

"Hi Roselle, how have you been?" I returned with a warm smile before greeting Joshua's siblings.  

All three were excited to know that I remembered their names which wasn't hard at all since they were quite adorable. Roselle chuckled warmly before she calmed the kids down.  

When they grew quiet, Roselle's gentle blue eyes focused back on me. "I'm sorry, they've just been waiting to see you again. I've been fine, thank you. And you?" 

Despite the unpleasant mood I was previously in, the emotion was diluted when I was with Joshua's family.  

"Great, thanks." 

"Hey Olivia, what's that you got there?" Gabriel soon questioned. 

Curiosity spread like a virus, and now, the two younger girls were wondering what I had in my hands. Roselle had to calm them down again before giving me an apologetic grin. Indicating that it was perfectly fine, I could only imagine what it was like to raise three kids and a bipolar eighteen-year-old at the same time. 

Roselle reminded gently to the three, "It's not nice to let our guest stand outside." 

Shaking my head, I motioned, "There's no need to go through the trouble. I just wanted to drop off the photos. Sorry that it took a while." 

Joshua's mom seemed taken back. "You did? That's so kind of you. Honey, Joshua could have gotten it." 

Just by the thought of his name, I felt a light pang in my chest.  

Dismissing the pain, I put a smile on my face. "I actually wanted to personally give it to you all anyway." 

When I started to take out photos from the paper bag, Roselle stared at me with confused eyes and commented, "Olivia, you printed them out? Oh goodness, you shouldn't have. Joshua told me that you were going to give us a CD."