26 · The Swing to Memory Lane

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

26 · The Swing to Memory Lane

Delivering the news about the scholarship to NYU had Mom in disbelief. Mom was thrilled, overjoyed, emotional, but nothing could beat the proud expression on her face as she pulled me into a hug. I was still trying to develop that I had the opportunity to go to New York for college. In celebration, we went to our favorite Italian restaurant for dinner and ate bottomless pasta and soup. 

When Eric and Mikaela overheard the news, they were just as supportive and excited. It turned out that they received some of their acceptance letters from the schools they applied for that Friday as well. It seemed to be the time where letters were finally sent out.

After the wait of doom, Eric was relaxed when he discovered that his top choices had accepted him. We—besides Eric—had no doubts about that. His parents were the cutest duo ever when they found out at the café. Eric told me that they gave out free drinks to their customers because they were so proud. Mikaela received the acceptance letters for the schools she anticipated for as well, along with other options from the scholarships she was offered for cheer.  

In my case, I received two letters the next morning. The world practically stopped spinning when I read on the envelope that one of them was from Chicago. Having to read the letter ten times, it finally clicked that the college accepted my portfolio. I let out a shriek of joy because going to the art institute there was one of my goals. Although the cost wasn't covered, Mom encouraged that we could make do.  

Feeling accomplished already, I still wanted to wait for the result of the photography competition in June. If I placed, the chances of me going to Chicago would be higher. However, NYU was still a golden opportunity for me. 

Once I discovered the results of my friends' college applications, I did stop to think about Joshua. Maybe one of the top music schools had accepted him. I even contemplated texting him about it, but I stopped myself because it would end up awkward, or he probably wouldn't reply back.  

This Saturday afternoon, I was going to Drew's house. As promised, a visit to see Larkin's was long overdue. Mom was driving because she needed the car for work, and it surely seemed like Drew and I were having a play date like the toddlers we once were.  

I couldn't even recall how long it has been when we pulled up to the curb of their house. Everything still looked the same with the lawn that Uncle Frank would always tend to, and the modern two story home with the signature bay window in front that showcased the living room.  

My eyes roamed the vanilla colored exterior as memories constantly replayed in my head. From their driveway, there was the same basketball hoop over the garage where Drew and I would play. Drew always commented how I wasn't able to shoot the ball as well as him because he was taller, and as a result, I kicked him. Laughing at the memory, Mom soon questioned my sudden behavior, but I shook my head to indicate that it was nothing.  

We made our way down the cobblestone pavement to their front door. Mom rang the door bell, and it didn't take very long for Aunt Elisa to answer the door. Her welcoming smile appeared within seconds she saw that it was us. 

"Hey! I'm so happy you're here! Come inside, come inside," Aunt Elisa motioned, using her hand. 

Once Mom and I had given her a hug, Mom explained, "Sorry, I can't stay for long, Elisa. I have work in a few." 

Aunt Elisa shook her head and suggested, "Don't worry about it, Lanie. We can take Olivia home if you're working late." 

I felt like a child, watching them converse.