Chapter Nine

"So, where are we going?" I asked Julio the moment I saw him hanging around by the school doors. The car I usually used was at home, as I'd gotten a ride out of Chris in the morning.

"Somewhere." He said, almost defensively as he looked at the people around us. They were all staring, gossiping about what was obviously the two of us.

"Do you think they're dating? Because, honestly, that's just weird." I heard one voice over the others and my eyes found the redheaded culprit.

I glared at Chelsea from Physics and she immediately looked down, guilty. She nudged her friend, and gestured in my direction to show that I'd caught on.

Her friend feigned innocence while I rolled my eyes and began walking out the door, Julio right behind me.

His motorcycle was the only one in the lot, and I could register the awe on the faces of the people around me when they saw Julio hand me the helmet.

"Why don't you use it?" I asked, reluctant to take. If there was an accident, how would it be fair if I got out while he was stuck facing the consequences?

"Don't you worry your pretty little head over me, princess." He drawled, sarcasm embroiled in every syllable. "Now, put on the helmet so that we can leave this hellhole." Julio ordered, and I listened to him wordlessly, my hands deftly fastening the helmet on.

"Let's go." I said, holding onto his shoulders. I was more prepared this time, which was why I wasn't going to be putting my arms around his waist and being all weird by feeling him up.

Or, so I thought.

The moment his motorcycle started and he sped off, I let my hands slip from his shoulders and immediately grabbed onto his torso. I felt my cheeks flush as our close proximity allowed for me to hear the chuckle that escaped his lips in a low rumble. I'd never heard him laugh before. It was a deep, husky sound and I was sure he didn't do it very often.

"Shut up!" I said, carefully extracting one hand so I could hit his back in annoyance, but I didn't get a reaction out of Julio.

About ten minutes later, we were in the normal part of town. As in, the part of town that wasn't full of spoiled, rich brats. I mean, I loved Ally and the others but no one could deny that they were privileged.

Then, Julio passed through the ordinary part and went into the more..... unpleasant side of town. I had nothing against it, but I was pretty sure that, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a drug deal going down.

"What are we doing here?" I asked Julio, confused, as he stopped in front of an old warehouse. I felt dread pool in the pit of my stomach, as I took in the sight. It was pretty creepy, with its dark grey, peeling walls and dilapidated exterior.

"You'll see." He said, taking the helmet from me.

"Not to be cliché," I began, crossing my arms over my chest, "But did you bring me here to kill me?"

"Why would I want to kill you?" He asked. "As annoying as you are, you still aren't as annoying as everyone else I know."

"Is that your way of saying we're friends now?" I teased, expecting a rebuttal from him, but instead was pleasantly surprised by a small shrug.

A smile made its way onto my face, and my eyes lit up. He was admitting it. This was a success.

I didn't say anything, though, and just followed him inside. The interiors were just as bad as the exterior, but I didn't say a word. Julio obviously enjoyed being here, judging by the way his posture relaxed, like he felt almost at home.