Chapter Twenty Six

A/N: Two chapters plus an epilogue to go.

Jack's face was serious as I sat in the chair across from him at his desk. We were in his study, which was, honestly, a dream come true.

There were Victorian-style floor to ceiling, arched windows (the kind that came with grills) each beside the other lining the wall behind the desk. The walls on either side of the dark mahogany desk had large bookshelves of the same shade of wood. The bookshelves had step ladders built-in. The last wall had the door, and was bare of anything else. The lighting was dim and the carpeted floor was dark, as well, which made everything look classier and miserable at the same time.

Overall, it was amazing.

"So," I began, nervously smoothing down my dress as I crossed my legs, "What did you want to talk about?"

"Uh," he began, clearing his throat nervously. I was beginning to feel anxious. What if he actually did want to marry her? He deserved so much better.

"I know this is awkward because I'm not your father but, for all intents and purposes, I believe you're family. This is about something I don't believe your mother has discussed with you yet."

"Alright." I said calmly, concealing my anxiety, indicating for him to continue.

"Have you considered what you want to do in the future?" He began, adding, "Profession wise, I mean."

"What?" I questioned, shocked at the topic that had arisen. That was far from what I'd imagined this conversation was about.

"What do you want to do with your life, Taylor?" He asked, his gaze slightly confused at my surprise.

"Oh, um, I've always wanted to go into marketing?" I posed it like a question, unsure as to what was happening. Did this mean he wasn't about to marry the bitch?

"That's great." He complimented, leaning back in his chair as he smiled widely.

"The purpose of this conversation is probably going to make you feel awkward, but I'd like to tell you anyway." Jack said, adding, "I want to make you a job offer."

"What?" I spluttered, far beyond confused at this point.

"Look, Taylor. I've grown to care for you as family, as I've mentioned before." He laced his fingers together, looking every bit the businessman he was, "So, if you're still interested in marketing after college, then Melton Industries will always have a place for you, despite where your mother and I might stand in the future. I give you my word, and I never go back on my word."

"What's the catch?" I inquired suspiciously, wondering why he'd do something like that.

"There's no catch, dear." Jack chuckled, "I know I probably scared you with how serious I sounded, but this is only an offer. You're not obligated to take it, either, but it will always be there for you."

I was still reluctant to believe that he was being serious. Who did stuff like that, apart from characters on TV?

"Alright." I agreed, still slightly bemused. "I'll get back to you in four years."

"There's one more thing." He said suddenly, and I knew, I just knew, that this was going to be catch, "You and your mother don't have a very close relationship, do you?"

"No, we don't." I wasn't sure where this was leading but, for once, I just wanted to be truthful when it came to her, even if it was to her boyfriend, "And, honestly, you shouldn't get too close to her, either. I know you might not realize it right now, but that woman will destroy you."