Chapter 25: Left in the Dark

Oof. I've been getting multiple requests to update this, so... here it is! I'm so sorry for such the long waits in between chapters. But enjoy the song up top because it's amazing, and... enjoy the chapter

~Narrator's POV~

You continued to carry Lucy on your back, warm tears streaming down your face, contrasting with the cold rain pouring from the sky. You continued to mutter endless apologies as guilt tugged at your heartstrings.

Lucy had been nothing but kind to you ever since you came back to Fairy Tail. And how do you thank her? By slashing her across the chest with dark magic, nearly killing her. Sure, she got on your nerves occasionally, but she did it in a friendly sense. All she wanted to do was create a stronger bond with you, deepening your friendship. Even now, when she was on the verge of death, she had looked up at you with a smile and sincere words. All the things you never would expect someone to do as they stare up at the person who attacked them. That made you feel even more guilty than before, just thinking about it.

You and Zuki eventually made it to Fairy Tail, pushing past the doors and zipped through the Guild Hall. Everyone was staring at you with looks of horror as they noticed the trail of blood that you were leaving behind as you dashed into the infirmary, Lucy still laying there unconscious on your back.

You quickly and gently placed Lucy down onto one of the hospital-like beds and hooked up an IV. At that point, Natsu, Gray, Erza, Wendy, Carla, and Happy all came bursting through the infirmary doors. (E/n) flew in after, panting viciously as she began to patch up Lucy's wounds, Wendy following suit.

"(Y/n)! What in God's name happened?" Erza demanded, striding over to you with a stern yet crushed expression within her deep, brown eyes. You could tell that now was not the time to hesitate.

"I... we... we were heading back a-and I... Erza, it happened again. I'm so sorry, it's... it's all my fault. Erza..." You store longingly back into her eyes, your (e/c) colored ones sobbing with guilt and despair.

Her pupils widened with horror. "You don't mean..."

All you could do was nod. You wanted so desperately to say that Lucy was going to be okay, but after last time, what happened three years ago, there was no way you could ensure that. Lucy could be on her final breath, laying at her death bed, and all you could do is sit around and watch. The very thought terrified you down to the core. You never, ever wanted to see the events of the past repeat themselves.

It was why you left Fairy Tail.

~Flashback~

"Hey, (Y/n)! Come on already! Gosh, you're always so slow!"

"Oh, shut up, Kallen! You know that you literally told me to get ready like... ten minutes ago, right?"

You and your childhood friend Kallen Sweeter were getting ready for the Fairy Tail Festival that happened every year. The both of you, being members of the guild, were supposed to be the opening act before all of the floats road down the streets of Magnolia. Lo, fate then took an unfortunate turn.
— —

"KALLEN!!"

Blood stained your hands as you held the blonde boy's lifeless body in your grasp, tears trickling from your eyes to your chin. His once bright, icy blue eyes lay open, cold and dull, as the same crimson liquid dripped from his pale lips, that had been curved into a bittersweet smile.

His Irish accent softly echoed through your eyes. "(Y/n), remember. This wasn't your fault, nor a mistake... it was a lesson to learn from. Never take this for granted, okay? Never forget, that... I did it for you."

~End Flashback~

Erza's expression grew cold, as she turned to Gray. "Gray, do as I say, and don't question or I'll kill you myself, got it? Make sure Lucy does not die. (Y/n), you come with me."

Gray, taken aback by Erza's sudden change of heart, nodded and began assisting Wendy in the healing process, using his Ice-Make Magic to seal some of her fatal wounds.

Just as Erza turned back to you and began walking you out of the infirmary, Natsu firmly grabbed her by the shoulder shoulder. His onyx eyes flared a bright green color, like an enraged Dragon's. "Tell me what's going on. What exactly am I missing here?" He growled, looking rather pissed.

Erza just returned the glare, not faltering her strong stance. "Natsu, now is not the time. Stay here with Wendy and Gray to assure that Lucy doesn't lose her life. That is all, do I make myself clear?" She ordered, scowl deepening.

That only intensified Natsu's glare. "No, you don't! I'm sick and tired of just sitting around like a mindless idiot! What is going on?!" He roared, his free fist bursting into flame as he took a pounding step closer to Erza.

"Natsu, please... don't press this. We don't want you getting involved with what isn't your faul—" You began to plea, before your sentence was cut short.

"No, (Y/n)! I'm not taking this anymore! I'm tired of being left in the dark as you all are trying to solve everything by yourselves! I can help, you know? That's what I'm here for! That's why I even joined Fairy Tail! We're guild mates, aren't we? We're supposed to help each other! Ya got me? I'm here to help!!"

"Natsu..." You felt new, freshly created tears begin to roll out of your eyes. You had never seen him so... dedicated, yet hurt, all at the same time. Not ever since that day he brought you back from Fairy Tail after being kidnapped by Daylin. It pained you to look into his gaze. You store down at your quaking feet.

You heard Erza gently, yet irritably, sigh. "Alright Natsu, come with us. Gray and Wendy can handle things here." She said, grabbing your wrist and dragging you out of Fairy Tail. Natsu followed behind you both with a determined look traced into his eyes.

Erza called out to the guild as she walked, not turning back. "Everyone, take care of the guild, and don't lose your guard! Anyone who dares to follow us and disobeys orders will either be killed, or disbanded from the guild! Do not leave the premises of the guild, or there will be dire consequences."

With that, you three exited the large wooden doors. Neither you or Natsu knew what Erza was planning.

And yet, this would change the entire history of Fairy Tail.

Gosh, would you look at that? A completed update. I am so sorry this took so long, and I am finally reaching the conclusion for this story. The ending is near, and it'll hopefully be satisfying enough for you fantastic readers. I cannot thank you all enough for bearing with me and my lack of updates. Now that it is pretty much Summer, I am planning on spending most of my days updating this story until it is completed. Until the next update, Sayonara!