Chapter 21

Dumping down in the couch, close to his startled friend, Kihyun ran his fingers through his thick hair and sighed. Even if he was a collected person and seemed like it, it wasn't always like that and now was a time like that. To avoid any further embarrassing or confusing moments, he shoved the polaroids that were still in his hand in Minhyuk's lap. "There...I hope they'll be useful for references." He mumbled without facing the other.

"Oh- Thanks!" Minhyuk answered, not prepared of the sudden action. He took the polaroids in his hands and held them like a fan, studying them close to his face. Mostly to cover it up because he was scared that the colour of blood rushing through his cheeks would be visible as it started to get to him how close they were to each other just minutes ago. If he closed his eyes, he could even recall feeling Kihyun's breath against his face and how the distance was just enough for him to be able to tilt a little to the side and lean forward by only a centimeter to be able to kiss him. This wasn't the first time they were this close, far from that. It wasn't that unusual but it felt so different this time. The thought made Minhyuk's hands tremble a bit but did his best to shake it off and lower the polaroids in his hands.

"So? What did you think?" The photographer himself asked, unaware of the thoughts that had just circulated in Minhyuk's head.

"They, they are really...Really pretty!" Minhyuk stuttered, awoken from his fantasies.

"Thank you! You can keep them. How far did you get?" Kihyun answered, glancing at the mess on the table in front of them.

Minhyuk reached for his sketch book with a flustered expression, realizing that he had forgot why he was there in the first place. He proceeded to talk while flipping through the spiral pad in order to avoid the feeling of awkwardness. "Oh, well...I think I did quite a lot the past days. I think I'm where the plant, y'know, meets another plant? Uhh, I'm actually not sure." He kept on rambling until he finally reached the page where he last left it.

"That's good but...Are you-" Kihyun started but stopped himself. "Are you really sure you want to attend this whole contest thing?" He asked, swallowing while waiting for the older's response.

"What? Don't you want to do it?!" Minhyuk gasped in confusion with his eyes turning as big as plates. The question caught him off-guard.

Kihyun sighed and calmly explained. "I do but I personally think this is getting quite forced." Minhyuk's face made it obvious that he didn't understand what his friend meant so he attempted again. "Listen, Minhyuk. I'm tired of you wanting to be around whatever I do. No matter what I do, you're there pointing out everything negative that there is. You're not you lately." He looked down for a second and inhaled to continue before getting interrupted. "I would want us to...just not meet for awhile." Kihyun mumbled, looking away. "But we can't if we are doing this art contest thing."

"I understand." Minhyuk frowned under his breath, feeling his heart sink. "We could...Take a break but I'm not giving up on the contest."

Kihyun pulled the sleeve of his light t-shirt and narrowed his lips the way he did when thinking deeply. "We won't have time enough to finish it then-"

"Forget it. Trash the stop-motion project. I'll come up with something easier." Minhyuk interrupted with a cold tone. He rose from the couch calmly and started to collect his things. Kihyun didn't protestate but just watched him stuff one thing after the other into the bag with a slight sense of aggression. The green apple placed on the black table ended up in Minhyuk's mouth as he left the room without a word.
"A break it is." He said, closing the wooden door behind him.

As soon as he got outside, he started walking along the long sidewalk. Bora had left long ago, leaving him with no other choice than to walk. It wasn't that much of a problem since his house was fairly close to Kihyun's. It seemed longer this time. His steps felt heavier too and it was hard for him to focus on placing one foot in front of the other.

The walk lasted for about 20 minutes and Minhyuk got to think a lot during it. "A break, huh? I'll give him a fucking break." He groaned, kicking a stone off the road. Maybe Kihyun didn't like him anymore? It was understandable to Minhyuk but the thought of it made him too scared to think of a second time. The longer he thought about it, he could feel the anger turn into disappointment and pure sadness. Kihyun really didn't want to see him. The person he treasured the most didn't want to see him. That was all that circulated in his head.

By the time Minhyuk arrived at his own house, the first thing he did was to rush up the stairs and throw himself on his bed. As of habit, he reached for the diary laying on his night table and started writing.
It all ended up being marked with five flowers and ink smoorched by a single tear or two.

Meanwhile, left in the couch, Kihyun remained. The boy felt some sense of guilt but decided to shrug it off. Everything was going to be alright but it just needed time. He knew Minhyuk was the type to overreact at all times so why would this be different? The guy probably just took it too hard. As usual. But what was really happening to that Minhyuk lately? Why was he holding a grudge against Wonho? At least he seemed to. Nothing made sense to Kihyun at the moment. From experience, he knew there was no use of overthinking. He knew he shouldn't but still did. It had gotten better but all he needed now was some time alone.

Grabbing his digital camera in black, Kihyun started walking towards the hallway where the tiny room which he shared with his brother was. Throwing himself on the bunk bed, he started to flip through the pictures in his camera roll gathered in the camera as of habit. He often did that when he had to settle his thoughts.

There was a picture of Minhyuk's back and another one from the front. And another one. And one more. The bright smile that always covered Minhyuk's face on the photos made Kihyun's mouth's corners curl up in a small but warm smile as well. No, he didn't dislike that guy. All he needed was to be alone for awhile. He just hoped Minhyuk felt the same way.