Chapter Eight

Brennen stood at the door, staring back at Colby as the brunette shook his head slowly.

"If you're not here for Sam, I kindly ask you to leave," Colby said.

Brennen stepped forward but Colby blocked the doorway. "Look dude, I'm sorry. I lied to you and it broke you and Sam apart. I'm really sorry, bro, but Sam's forgiven me. Can you?"

"I'm not mad about that," Colby said through gritted teeth. "I have forgiven you for months and suddenly you ignore my attempts at communication! Then I find out you're meeting with Sam, and yet you still insist on ignoring me! You made me think I did something wrong, Brennen!"

"I said I'm sorry!" Brennen snapped back. "I thought you'd want your space."

"Whatever. Why are you here?"

"You sent me a text last week asking for advice about Valentine's Day with Sam. I came up with a few ideas and I think I can help."

Colby contemplated him. "What's the plan?" Slowly, as Brennen explained, Colby saw it all come together in his head. "Not bad," he said when Brennen finished. "In fact, that is brilliant. Now, we're gonna need a few things so shopping trip Friday?"

"I'll pick you up."

Colby nodded stiffly and Brennen smiled awkwardly. Colby cleared his throat. "Then I'll see you Friday, dude."

"Yeah."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Colby watched Brennen walk away and he frowned. Something just wasn't adding up and he wasn't sure he wanted to find out the truth this time. Ignorance is bliss.

But still, he was curious.

***

"You're what?"

Katrina smiled sadly and ran her hand through Sam's hair again. "I'm moving away. Damien got a job promotion and I've been moved to a different store anyway."

"No, you can't leave!" Sam stressed.

Kat frowned. "You're not gonna be alone if I go, Sam. You've got Colby and the other housemates."

"Colby doesn't quite understand," Sam admitted. "I haven't told him everything."

"Well you need to. And besides, I'll still be able to Skype and text. I'm not disappearing off the face of the Earth."

"Really?"

"Really," she confirmed. "Now cheer up. Brennen is taking Colby out Friday so we can start getting the Valentines Day stuff together. You just have to make sure that Colby doesn't come in your room."

Sam shrugged. "I always go to his room anyway. Shouldn't be a problem."

Kat smiled. "You two are honestly so cute. I hope you grow closer again and stay close."

"I hope so too," Sam hummed. "I really hope so too."

***

Colby was a little surprised when Sam crashed in his room for the night but of course he wasn't complaining. It took a while for both boys to stop cuddling and kissing, but exhaustion won and they slowly slipped away from reality.

Colby didn't dream that night but his sleep was light and interrupted. Every little noise woke him up until he gave up and sat there, waiting for the time to pass. It was peaceful until he noticed Sam's little twitches, light whimpers falling from his lips.

"Sam?"

The blond boy only continued to wriggle and Colby shook him gently, calling his name until Sam shot up and out of bed, blue eyes wide with terror. Colby sucked in a breath and stood up, walking towards the spooked boy.

"Sam," he cooed. "Hey, it's me."

Sam looked up, relief evident in his gaze. "Oh God," he wheezed. "That was a bad one."

Colby frowned but didn't talk about it, just hugged his boyfriend tighter until they both were high on the touch of the other. For that one night, all their little, broken pieces came back together to build something better.