Chapter Twelve - LAST CHAPTER

"So where to?" Colby asked as they got back in the car.

"Back home."

Colby sent him a confused look but obeyed, pulling out into the traffic. Sam's hand was sore from holding the cat figurine so tightly.

"I love you," Colby said randomly. He was concentrating on the road and looking straight ahead but Sam knew.

"I love you too," he said with a grin. It felt nice to know each other, to let go of the stress and the tension and the bad memories. Maybe they'd be okay. Just maybe.

They pulled up in front of the mansion and hopped out, Sam latching on to Colby's hand and dragging him upstairs. He didn't have lots of things planned like Colby but he had something he hoped would be just as good.

Colby was utterly confused as Sam sat him down in the bed and turned off the lights. He gasped as Sam kissed him softly. "I just want you to watch and listen," Sam said softly.

"Okay," Colby agreed.

A video flickered to life on the wall.

"Happy birthday Colby!" A teenage Sam cheered, obviously holding the camera. The young brunette was laughing as he jumped around the room.

"I'm seventeen!" He crowed. "I'm freaking old but still!"

The camera shook as Sam laughed.

The moment was good.

The clip changed.

Someone else was holding the camera this time because Sam and Colby were together. They were graduating High School. They'd finished, they'd made it, they were with each other, and they were happy.

"I'm so proud of them," Sam's mum whispered off screen. "They did it."

The clip changed.

"We got an apartment!" Sam announced, not for a YouTube video but just on camera because it felt right to document their memories.

Colby face popped into view. "Sam and Colby videos are gonna be regular now."

The clip changed.

"Whelp, vine is dead. We're YouTubers now." Colby's face was both upset and relieved. "Dude, how did we get here? We just started off as two Kansas kids."

"I don't know," Sam said from behind the camera. "But we made it and here we are."

"Here we are."

The clip changed

"We're moving it with others," Colby said to Sam, who was still holding the camera. "So we're gonna need to ditch some of our stuff. We'll still be best friends though, right? We're not gonna grow apart?"

"Of course not, Colby. Solby will never break apart."

The clip changed.

It was obviously years down the track because Sam's hair had got its shit together and the Prank War was under way.

"So," Sam's voice was steady but quiet. "I'm not sure anyone but me is going to see this but I need to get it out there. Colby and I are growing apart. It's blatantly obvious. The Sam and Colby videos aren't about us anymore. I hate that. I loathe it. I'm thinking of breaking up with my girlfriend because I have feelings for someone else, someone I shouldn't have feelings for."

Sam looked down. "Colby and I have come so far, I don't want to lose that now."

The clip changed.