Chapter Nine

WARNING: There is triggering content in this chapter. Viewer discretion is advised.

Kimberly watched the two boys curiously as they walked in. The blond one, Sam, seemed intimidated and skittish, while Colby seemed calm and distant. They sat down, barely touching, awkward silence thick in the room.

"Hello Sam, hello Colby." She smiled, trying to appear as open and inviting as possible. She knew they weren't here to talk to her, they were here for each other, she just needed to get them started. "If it's okay, I'd like to start with Sam." His eyes flashed.

"It's okay," Colby soothed, obviously sensing his boyfriend's discomfort. "She can help."

She cleared her throat. "Sam, what do you think of Colby?"

He blinked in surprise and glanced at her curiously. "You want me to tell you with him in the room?"

"Is there anything you have to hide?" She raised a brow. "Strong relationships require honesty, Sam."

He shrugged. "We've been friends since Middle School, I know him."

She nodded, "alright, so if you were to look at him right now, without thinking about what you already know, would you be able to tell me about the current Colby?"

Sam studied the brunette, eyes narrowed. Slowly, he shook his head. "All I see is the Colby I've known for a while."

"Have you allowed for any changes, any adaptions?"

"No."

She hummed and shifted her attention to Colby. "Same goes for you Colby. Without hinting about the Sam you've known 'forever', do you think you could tell me about this Sam?"

Instantly, Colby shook his head, "no."

"There is the core issue. You don't know each other. You think you do, but you forget that people change, whether you want them to or not."

"So what, we just have to tell each other what's changed?" Colby shrugged. "Seems simple enough."

She just smiled, "Sam can start."

The blond boy sighed and fidgeted nervously. "Uh, okay. Hi, my name's Samuel Golbach. My best friend is Katrina Stuart, my boyfriend is Colby Brock. My favourite colour is blue and I'm more of a cat person than a dog person."

"You've always loved dogs though," Colby pointed out and Sam ran a hand through his hair; a nervous tick.

"Guess I've changed."

Colby's eyes narrowed slightly at the subtle implication. "Hi, my name's Colby Brock. My best friend is Brennen Taylor and my boyfriend is Sam Golbach. My favourite colour is a dusty red and I prefer Tender Greens to IHOP."

"You sound bitter," Sam said, frowning. "And you always said Brennen would be a good friend, but not your best friend."

"Guess I've changed too," Colby snapped.

Kim noted something down. "Now some personality discussions. Colby, do you think you are an aggressive person?"

"No," the brunette answered instantly. "Sam tells me I am when I'm drunk, but normally, I try to avoid violence. I have limited patience, that's all."

She nodded, "Sam?"

He shrugged. "I'm a pretty chill person."

Colby snorted, "Yeah, possessive as hell though. And a hypocrite."

"Is there something you want to share?" Sam snapped, glaring harshly at his boyfriend.

"Actually yeah, what the hell was with you ditching me?"

"I never ditched you!"

"Right." Colby's face was angry and tired. "I admit I dropped you for Brennen for a while but I bounced back from that. I tried harder and then suddenly you and Kat are buddy-buddy?"

Sam's eyes were blue flames. "Fuck you Colby," he scowled. "Kat was there for me when you weren't."

"I'm sick of you pinning this on me!" Colby shrieked. "Sam, I found you on the floor with your wrists cut! I cried myself unconscious! I shut myself off, locked myself away thinking you hated me!"

"I didn't hate you." Sam's argument sounded weak, even to himself. "I loved you all the more for caring."

"You didn't tell me that," Colby said, voice thick with emotions. "Sam, I know I was the cause of that depression and I know it was my fault but I tried harder. I tried," his voice broke. "And you didn't."

"You think I didn't try?"

"Well it sure as hell didn't feel like it."

The two boys stared at each other, angry and hurt and sad, their bond breaking just that little bit more.

Sam shook his head. "I don't know you anymore."

And just like that, they lost the uphill battle.