Chapter 32

'Why don't we go somewhere else?' Shannon asked her friends looking at the long queue to get into Cure Lounge. 'We'll be waiting here for ages.'

Kelly rolled her eyes. 'It'll be five minutes tops, and if you put a smile on your face maybe we could sweet talk our way in.'

Shannon scoffed. 'I'm not flirting with some dumb doorman to get into a club I don't even want to go in.' A groan went up amongst the group.

'Stop being such a buzzkill,' Kelly hissed at her. 'I promise you this will be worth it.'

Shannon raised her eyebrows looking sceptical. 'We could get another drink somewhere else.' She felt could feel herself sobering up as the cold night air pinched at her bare legs.

'We're supposed to be having fun,' Kelly said linking their arms together and making sure she didn't leave the queue. 'I know you're still hung up on Joey, but honestly, it'll do you good to let your hair down and meet someone else.'

'I am not hung up on him,' Shannon whispered. 'And I don't want to meet anyone else. I've had it with men.'

Kelly cackled. 'You keep telling yourself that babe, but we both know you're delusional.'

'I might just turn around and leave,' Shannon said scowling as she pulled her arm out of Kelly's vicelike grip.

'No you won't, we're almost at the front of the queue. See?'

Shannon grimaced looking up at the overhead lighting. For some reason, Kelly was determined that she was going to have a night of drunken fun.

~~~

Joe sat amongst his friends in Cure lounge, trying his damnedest to give the impression he was having a good time. He kept his conversation focused on the guys, ignoring the pointed looks Katherine was giving him from across the table. Well, she was the one who'd wanted a group night out.

'I'll go line up some more shots,' Donnie said getting to his feet. 'Anyone want anything else?'

A number of voices shouted out their requests, and Katherine wasted no time sliding into Donnie's seat when he finally got away. 'Are you having a good time?' she asked Joe.

'Yeah sure.' Joe grabbed his drink, draining what was left of it. 'The pit bulls seem to have a bit of an attitude, what have you been saying to them?' He glanced over at Danielle and Eva, they rolled their eyes at each other, their animosity clear.

Katherine frowned. 'I only told them that than we've put the wedding back. I guess they've been speculating.'

'It doesn't matter, it's not like we were bosom buddies to start with.'

Katherine's frown deepened. 'They're my friends, Joe, try to get along with them. I'm making the effort with your friends.'

He nodded, biting his tongue. It didn't matter now whether they liked each other's friends or not, it was only a matter of time before they called it quits.

He had to tell her, and to hell with the consequences.

'Kat, why don't we start making tracks, it's getting late?'

She laughed, shaking her head. 'It's not that late Joe, and I thought the point of this was to let loose a little.'

'I guess,' he said as Donnie rejoined the group putting a tray of shots down on the table. He picked one up forcing himself to join in. However, the alcohol didn't do anything to improve his mood, and he knew nothing would while he was keeping this pretence up. He studied Katherine from the corner of his eye, her face was neutral betraying no sign of either displeasure or enjoyment, and it confirmed how far apart they had drifted. Once they'd have both read each other easily, and would probably have been running for the exit hand in hand.