Chapter 52

Donnie sat back when the smoke alarm silenced, presumedly the house wasn't on the verge of burning to the ground. He sipped his beer waiting for Katherine to reappear but as the minutes went by she remained a no show. In the end, he got up and opened the living room door calling out to her.

'Hey Katie, do you need a hand in there?' Obviously, dinner was burning and while he didn't want to intrude it seemed rude to sit with his feet up, enjoying his drink.

Katherine poked her head out of the kitchen door, her face flushed. 'It's fine thanks, just a minor mishap, I'll get you another drink.' She disappeared before he could speak, returning holding a beer out to him. 'Please, take this. We'll be done in a few minutes.'

He took the drink giving her a half smile. 'I'll make myself scare then.' He headed back to the living room and sat down, taking his phone out to occupy himself. He saw he had a friend request from Joe on Facebook, and quickly realised that Joe had set up a new account. That was so like him, he'd hate to offend Katherine by unfriending her, far easier to wipe the slate clean. He briefly scrolled through Joe's profile, which was bare save for a few pictures of him with Shannon. Well if they crashed and burned, he'd probably be deleting his new account as quickly as he'd started it.

'We've got a problem,' Katherine said sticking her head through the door. 'I've cremated dinner.' 

'I kinda guessed that,' he said trying not to laugh.

'I was going to make something else but I've not got a whole lot in. Do you mind if I order something?'

'No problem, I wasn't expecting to get fed tonight anyway.' He saw Katherine breath a sigh of relief as the unwelcome thought that he'd had a date sort of lined up entered his head. He was sure he'd told Imogen, the girl in question, he was working and he'd get in touch, but still. It was kinda shitty that he hadn't let her know either way. If he left now he could probably salvage the evening with her but that would mean bailing on Katherine.

'Is pizza okay?' Katherine asked brushing her hair out of her eyes. 'Dani doesn't like much else.'

He looked at her thinking he should make his excuses but he couldn't. 'That would be great.'

'It's not much of a thank you though,' Katherine said sounding apologetic.

He shook his head. 'You don't need to thank me, I was happy to help.'

Katherine hovered in the doorway for a moment, before turning and leaving. Quickly he messaged Imogen, apologising and telling her he wouldn't be able to make it after all. He saw his message was read but the lack of reply told him she was pissed and he'd probably blown it with her.

'Any special orders?' Danielle asked popping her head through the door, her phone held aloft.

'I'm easy,' he said and she predictably winked. He tried to tell himself she wasn't all bad, underneath that tough exterior she did care about Katie. He closed his eyes for a moment, it wasn't his place to care about Katherine, he'd already made moves on one of Joe's exes, doing so again was sleazy.

'They'll be here within the hour,' Danielle said as she ended the call. She took the seat next to him, generously topping her glass up. 'Kat, bring another bottle in.'

Katherine came through the door, another bottle of wine in her hand which she held out to Danielle. 'Pour me a glass,' she said taking a seat in front of them. 'I'd like to say I'm not normally this disorganised.'

'No you're not,' Danielle said mischievously. 'I think you got distracted.'

Donnie could have sworn Katherine blushed but as she held her glass in front of her face he wasn't entirely sure. Admittedly she wasn't quite the cold fish she used to be but she was still pretty reserved.