Chapter 7

I tossed and turned in my sheets, unable to succumb to the tiredness that dulled my senses. I ran a hand through my dark locks which fanned out across my pillow.

That was probably the last time I'd ever see Harry again, I thought to myself. Thousands of soldiers were traveling to France and it was unlikely that we'd cross paths. I'm not sure why, but I felt a tad uneasy at this discovery.

Eventually, I forced myself to sleep knowing that I'd have to be up early.

----

"Rise and shine sleepy!" I cheered loudly in Esma's ear, hoping to stir a reaction. She woke with a sudden burst, her eyes widening and lips parting slightly.

"Lianna!!!" She groaned with irritation and pushed me away.

"Here," I handed her a glass of water, already knowing of her monstrous hangover. "Come on, up! We have to leave for the ship in 20 minutes." Esma shot up from her bunk, holding both her stomach and her head, which I assumed was spinning a million miles an hour. 

Our luggage, holding only the essentials, sat packed and ready to go, waiting at the front door.

----

With thousands of British and allied troops already occupying Belgium and France's center, us nurses and the remaining soldiers would stay in Northern France, to protect her borders and assist in any attempts of advancements made by the Germans.

We scurried onto the boat in a hurry and placed ourselves in an empty carriage. The ride was short and sweet as several other nurses including myself, entertained one another on stories of horrible patients and handsome soldiers who we'd danced with the night before. The image of Harry's uncoordinated dance moves popped into my mind and I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

We eventually arrived at Le Havre, a port in the North part of France.

"It smells funny!" Several of the girls stated as we walked along the dock.

"It smells, like frogs!" Daisy burst into laughter and the other girls followed.

"I think what you'll find is the smell of fish, I doubt there's a seaport in the world that smells any different." I retorted, shaking my head. I grinned at the girls who were now holding their noses in disgust to avoid the port's potent odor.

I was born in France in the year 1918, to two French parents in the quaint village of Conques, near the countries South. I'd lived there until the early age of three, then moved to Britain in 1921 where I later adopted the English accent and way of life. Although England had been my home for most of my life, France is truly where I longed to be.

After departing from the dock, we headed for our nursing quarters. Esma had been a mess all morning, it was almost noon and her hangover although slighting easing up, still had her steadying her movements and shutting her eyes tight to avoid the bright rays of sun. The weather in France, although more forgiving than London, still held a slight briskness to it. As we made our way to our rooms, Daisy approached me suddenly and forcefully.

"Oh my gosh, Lianna!" She grabbed me. "Who was that soldier last night that you were talking too? He was just the cutest thing ever!" She spoke with a large grin, playing with a blonde curl around her finger.

I chuckled softly at her enthusiasm. "Fergus, the scot? Yea, I guess he was slightly charming, a bit too direct for me though." I shook my head.

"No no, not the silly Scot, the soldier with the green eyes and dark hair!" She beamed.

"Oh," I spoke with interest. "You mean Harry."

"Yes. Harry." She emphasised his name, rolling her eyes into the back of her head and fanning herself. "He was divine!!!" She screamed, a little too eagerly.

"I suppose so." I spoke with unease, feeling slightly uncomfortable at Daisy's sudden desire for Harry.

Daisy was a problematic person, I'd known her for a year and had already come to know her rather selfish and self-absorbed ways. As much as I tried to like her, she bothered me greatly, and I did all I could to hide those feelings of dislike to avoid conflict but sometimes my face conveyed exactly what I was thinking.

"What?" Daisy looked at me with disgust. "Do you like him or something? No offense Lianna but I don't really think you're his type." She spoke abruptly.

I clenched my teeth and thought of an insult but instead stopped myself and shook my head quickly.

"How about this, if we meet him again." Which would be unlikely I assured myself, "I'll set you two up." 

"Thanks! You're the best!" She tugged at my arm before skipping off.

I thought of all the curse words to call her but instead chewed on the corners of my lower lip to distract myself.

"Okay, I'm actually starting to feel better!" Esma grabbed my hand from behind. "I think it's the French air, although fishy, it's surprisingly crisp."

"Crisp and fishy?" I cocked a curious brow as Esma nodded her head enthusiastically. I giggled at her comment and intertwined her arm with my own.

We soon arrived at our quarters, which although proved small, were quite well prepared. Around twenty single sized beds sat packed against one another, with fresh linens provided at the end. A large bathroom extended into a separate room with multiple tubs and sinks.

I settled in and began to unpack my belongings.