Chapter 15

When I walked out of the bathroom Harry had left the bar. I made my way to Esma, who was still holding a martini in her hand.

"Are you alright? That was crazy!!!" Esma grabbed my arm forcibly.

"Y-yeah I'm fine." My head was spinning. "Can we please leave?" I pleaded.

"Of course, hun." Esma took my hand into hers and led me out. We walked in silence back to our quarters, Esma's arm linked around my waist.

I felt confused about Harry and violated with the incident at the bar. I could still feel my attacker's thin lips on my own. What made that man think he could just grab me, kiss me, assault me. I shuddered and wrapped my arms around myself. I was more than grateful for Harry but questioned to why no one else batted an eye or even bothered to help when I screamed. The thought of what else my that man could have done if Harry hadn't intervened made me cringe.

We entered the room where more than several nurses already lay sleeping. My subconscious searched for Daisy's bed. I'd feared that she may have left with Harry but was relieved to find her asleep, spread out like a starfish with her hair fanned out across the pillow. I quickly changed into my nightwear and fell into the comforting mess of my bed. Despite the ache of exhaustion, I just couldn't shut my eyes. Getting out of my bed I took one step until I lay in Esma's. I crawled under the covers and snaked my arm around her waist.

"I can't sleep," I whispered into her hair.

"You have too." Esma chuckled. "We have to be up early for Luxemburg tomorrow." She sighed.

We'd had a change of plans and my nursing unit had been told earlier that day that all who arrived in Le Havre were to be posted in Luxemburg the following day. In Luxemburg, there were airbases and more allied forces. We would be leaving by train at 6 in the morning. The panicked thought that crossed my mind of never seeing Harry again was eased when we discovered that his unit would be posted to Luxemburg as well. 

I shut my eyes tight.

"Alright, nighty night," I whispered, kissing Esma on the head, squeezing her to me.

'I like you, Lianna, I like you a lot'

Harry's words played over and over again in my mind. I know I should've been glad that he had admitted his feelings for me but I only felt more confused, with my need and want for him growing stronger. I wanted nothing more than to just surrender myself to him, give in to the things I felt for Harry. 

My mind was racing with a million thoughts. Should I distance myself from Harry completely? Should I just give in to my feelings? It was all too much.

I fell asleep.

The next day went slow. The train ride to Luxembourg was long and tedious. Esma and I slept almost the entire ride and Daisy and Evie gossiped and played cards.

I was drifting in and out of sleep when Harry's name was brought to my attention.

"Of course, Harry likes me," Daisy whispered to Evie. "You don't kiss someone like that unless you like them." She stated.

I clenched my jaw and hoped to God she would just stop talking. "He's like my ideal guy, you know. Good looking, funny and probably great in bed."

I coughed.

I could feel myself become flushed and angry. If it hadn't been for the interruption of our train stopping at its destination, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself.