Prologue

When the creatures of the nether see me out and about, I always get one question. Sometimes it varies in format and wording, but the basis of it remains the same.

“Is he really a father to you?”

And my answer, every single time, is yes.

He doesn't match all of the qualifications of a father, but he works.

For one, I definitely don't look up to him. Rather, I use him as an example of what not to do. I make my own guidelines, and then tolerate father whilst he continues with his business.

I can't say I approve of what he does. But he is the father, and I am the secret son. I take orders when they are given, and he has the courtesy to not give them often. He knows I don't like what he does.

So yes. He is a father to me. It is a twisted, strained, and disfigured relationship, but one that is there nonetheless.

When father raps on my door repeatedly, I still go to answer it. I drag myself out of my ruby colored sheets, and stuff my sunglasses in my pocket.

To door swings open, revealing the man himself. Worn blue jeans layer over a pair of brown sneakers. An aqua blue T-Shirt covers his waistline, despite being ripped at the edges.

But the most prominent thing about him is his eyes. My father has striking, soulless eyes. Their pupiless stare bores into anyone they come across, save for me.

The only thing from the surface we keep in the castle is a small room of loot. Anyone who dares come down here is killed, and the stuff they had on them is placed in that room.

One time, I found a small cylinder in the room. When I touched one of the buttons, light spewed out of one end. I asked my father what it was, and he said it was a flashlight.

Like his eyes- like my eyes- the flashlight glows. I had laughed, realizing that our eyes are like flashlights.

Flashlight eyes.

Glowing eyes stare at me, reflecting light from my own flashlight eyes.

Herobrine. My dad is Herobrine.

They look at me with a mix of boredom and admiration. Like a part of him loves me for me, a part of him loves me for who I could be, and a part of him loves me for his ability to make me into who he wants me to be.

I step back, allowing him entry into my spacious and red themed room. “Hey dad.” I greet with a neutral expression.

He nods in response, and runs a hand through his hair. He sits on my bed, motioning for me to join him. I start to grow suspicious, and find a comfortable seat on my pillow.

“I need another favour…” Herobrine mutters, sighing.

I growl.

“Just… It's small.” Herobrine adds, smiling slightly.

“What is it.” I say through clenched teeth.

“... Kill someone.”

“No!” I immediately reply. “I don't do that! I'm not a murderer!”

Herobrine lets off an airy chuckle, rubbing his glowing white eyes. My own golden glow tints the room with yellow, shining off the amulet on my bedside table.

Being the son of Herobrine really sucks sometimes. For one, whenever I travel to the overworld, I am required to wear a disguise, of sorts. Good thing I never get stay in the overworld for too long. The bright sunlight hurts my eyes, when compared to a lifetime in the nether. Or, well, as much of a lifetime as 17 years can get.

Meh. The surface is really interesting when you’ve never really seen it before.

“Before you hate me, hear me out.” Herobrine asks.

“I don’t hate you. I just… don’t like the things you do sometimes.” I respond softly.

“I know. But will you hear me out?”

“...”

“Hear me out.” He demands.

“Fine.” I sigh in defeat.

Herobrine shows a small smile, a blend of wicked plans and genuine love and happiness. The wicked part makes it look less genuine, but I know it is. I’ve lived here for 17 years, after all. You really get to know someone when they helped give birth to you, somewhat raised you, and trained you in your abilities.

“Okay, very good!” Herobrine smiles. “Now. How about… you kill a single man, and stay in the Overworld for a month?” Herobrine bargains.

My eyes widen. Me, in the Overworld for a month!? Hell yes!

Then I catch myself.

“B-But… I have to k-kill someone?” I repeat shakily.

“Yes.”

My mind goes a million miles an hour. On one hand, I get to see the surface. On another, I need to take another life.

What if I go out of control again? What if the amulet is lost, and I can't get a hold on myself? What if I kill more than just one human?

But… I get to see the Overworld. An entire month to live like a regular kid. I can even try and figure out a way to convince dad to let me stay.

I doubt that last part, but I think it would be worth it.

“O-Okay.” I finally reply, jaw set and eyes brimming with determination.

“That’s my boy! I’ll be visiting you, and in return you receive the file of the one you must eliminate.” Herobrine smiles.

“I feel like a freaking government agent.” I grumble distastefully.

“Ah, you'll get over it. It's only one of so many Minecraftians. I got over it!”

I sigh, and lay back on my headboard. My thoughts begin to wander, and dad takes that as his cue to leave.

“Meet me after lunch.” He says, before leaving.

“Okay.” I wave off.

The door shuts, leaving me alone with my sins. I put the amulet on for good measure. Who knows when I could be caught up in my… desires.

Hopefully never again.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Snickers here, did you enjoy? It's a little choppy at first, and I'm trying to get the hang on Herobrine's personality. Demanding, commanding, and wicked, with a touch of compassion reserved for Sky. Especially lenient with Sky, yet still forcing him to do things he doesn't want to do.

I hope I did a good job.

Snickers out!