~0ñ€~

The color of the portal reminds me of a sunset on the surface. I don't see them that often, but the gem-like purple that takes over the sky always sticks with me. It reminds me of the Amethyst around my neck.

“You packed it, right?” Father asks, patting me on the back where my pack is.

I nod. “The business-like manilla folder? Hard to miss in a world of red.” I wink playfully.

Chuckling, an actual and genuine smile peeks out of the corners of Herobrine’s mouth.

Then he frowns.

“Good… good luck son.” He says.

“Thanks.”

“Just… just keep in mind. If you fail…”

My smile breaks into a frown as well. “I know.” I say. “Then you have to finish it for me.”

“Good.” He grunts. “Don't fail.”

We have a pause of awkward silence. We kind of just stare at eachother. Father and son, one about to enter a portal to live in another dimension for a month.

“Can I have a final request?” I ask.

“Sure.” Father chuckles.

“I want confirmation that this boy reaches the Aether.” I demand firmly.

Herobrine waves me off, placing a hand over his heart. “Sure kid.” He relents.

So with my needs satisfied, I face him and wave. Then I allow the gravity to pull me backwards, effectively trust-falling into a portal to another dimension.

Herobrine disappears from view, and is overtaken by a world of purple swirling and a deafening whoosh. My ears have adapted to handle it by now, but it leaves me with ringing ears every time I enter or exit the Nether.

With a thud my thoughts are pushed away. A dull ache enters my spine, and soft stuff tickles my back.

It's called grass… it think?

No, I'm fairly certain that it's called grass.

A large smile encompasses my entire face. This is my home, despite my castle in the Nether. This is where my mother gave birth to me, before she died.

I never really got to know her, or what killed her.

A green, spade-shaped object flies at me, blanketing my vision in green tint. I squeak, flailing until it falls away from my eyes. There is a flash of yellow as it is taken by the breeze.

“Right.” I mutter. “Where were those sunglasses…”

I fish them from my pocket and lay them gently on my face. They are obsidian-plated, making it nearly impossible to see through them from the other side.

I breathe a sigh of relief. The harsh light of the sun no longer digs at my eyes, meaning that they will stop glowing brighter in agitation. They already glow enough as it is.

My surrounding come into clearer focus, leaving me bewildered.

I walk up to a tall brown spire that sticks out from the grass. It is rough to the touch, and leaves pieces of itself in my skin when I drag my hand downwards. Why!?

“This is…. Burk? Barn?” I struggle, attempting to remember the word.

Sure, I've seen these before. I've been to the surface more than once, after all. But in my haste to return home, I never took the effort to learn.

Now that I'll be here a while, I might as well, right?

“Bird… Barsh… BARK!” In say excitedly. “It's called bark! On a tree!”