Chapter One

(Not edited)

Past

(London)

Ruby

I was breathless. My pulse pulsated, my heart thumped louder and harder. My mouth felt dry, the dreadful metallic taste lingered in my mouth making me dizzy as I leaned against the brick wall in the alley.

The rain poured down, every droplet that touched my bare skin felt harsh and brutal. The thunder strikes, startling me. The fear, the memories of thunder and storm invaded my thoughts but before it trapped me, I shook it off.

I pushed my wet hair back and gazed at the direction on my left.

I needed to move.

He'll find me any minute now.

Luckily, he had smelled of alcohol and drugs, his movements had been fortunately sloppier, slower. Which made me faster. Yet, I couldn't let my guard down. I need to find a shelter, and for now my shelter was around people. At least then, he won't dare to touch me. Rape me.

Surly, people would react.

Breathing out, I pushed my body forward and began taking rapid steps down the alley. It was dark, the lamplight that created a path down the alley illuminated the way for me. I winced every now and then in pain when my bare feet accidently touched small stones on the ground.

Nearly there. I could see cars. I could hear traffic. I could feel the presence of other people.

I'll be somewhat safe.

My knuckles curled every time a thunder stroke. It was like a bullet to my soul, expending my fear wider and wider.

My eyes welled with unshed tears. A painful throbbing pain came from my hideous scar, a scar that will forever remind me of my past. A scar that was imprinted on my skin, I could never run away from it even if I wanted to. I loathed it deeply.

I swallowed down my saliva as I came closer and closer to my end goal. I pushed my palm against the brick wall and began taking the last step toward strange busy people, when suddenly a thick hand covered my mouth, sucking in every last bit of noise and air from my throat.

My legs kicked out as he lifted me up against his round belly and moved us backwards. Deeper into the alley, deeper into the darkness. His other arm held my upper body immobilized against his heavy chest.

Harshly, he pushed my back against the brick wall. I could feel the pain in my back but it compared to nothing as he guided his round belly against my flat one, his thick head just inches away from my face. His dirty hand didn't break away from my mouth, my whole upper body was useless. But my feet and knees were my heroes. His small eyes gazed lustfully against my own, however, there was a hint of anger in them. 

Oh God.

If he took me tonight, he won't make it easy.

"There, there..." he faked an innocent sadness, his small orbs digging into mine. "if you hadn't run away from me from the first beginning, we wouldn't be here in this situation right now."

Wrong. I have smelled his kind. A rapist. He'll always come back for more and more. I've been lucky to have survived from him for so long. I know some women hadn't been lucky as me. But today.... today I had been oblivious. I had made a mistake, letting my guard down.   

I glared at him, refusing to show any fear. Men like him fed from human's fear.

I was scared. Extremely frightened, I could feel my knees shaking. The loud thunder and the harder rain made it worse for me. But I tried to stay composed, focused. My knees are free, I could use them.