Chapter Eight

NOT EDITED! *hide*

Ruby

I had almost confessed to him.

Sitting on the bed, I bended down and began to put on my black heels. His touches were still burning my skin, still lingering there like an unremovable tattoo. And each time I remember his ink black eyes that had been exotic and erotic, a heat will overwhelm my body. A smile would tug on the corner of my lip. A blush would make my cheeks rosy. The aching need to feel his hands on me again consumed me.

But the moment was broken before things lead to another direction. Almost broken. The intimacy we shared still lingered within us and the last look Oliver gave me, it ensured me that this wasn't over. I didn't want it to be over.

Exhaling softly and making sure I had my silver purse in my hand, I walked out of my room. Walking down the stairs with ease, I suddenly froze at the sight in front of me. Oliver was facing me, his phone beside his ear as he talked with a low voice. When he noticed me, his lips stopped moving and for a moment I could almost see the sharp inhale he took. His fingers clenched around his phone, making me worried that he will break it any second. His dark eyes trailed over the length of my body, slowly soaking in everything that I was showing him. I felt naked. I felt exposed even thought I was fully dressed. Yet, he looked at me like I was the only woman in his world. He made me feel beautiful, a feeling that I didn't experience much. For once, I wanted to dive in inside his mind and see his perspective of me.

Holding my breath, I continued to walk down the stairs until we were we stood only few inches apart. A sudden frown settled over his forehead which made me confused. He quickly murmured some words into the phone before he hanged up. He lifted his hand up, all while his eyes stayed on my face. A shiver swept over my skin when his rough fingers moved my hair over my shoulder, exposing more of my face.

More of my scar.

I froze.

An uncomfortable sensation caused nervousness to envelop me. My chin lowered and I wanted nothing but to escape from his eyes. From him. This sudden need to escape confused me. For the past weeks I haven't felt this urge to hide away from him, he never gave me the reason to, but being dressed in a beautiful gown, I was expecting him to see more of that than my scar. I felt insecure. Why was he focusing on the ugliness instead of prettiness?

"We have to-"

"Why are you hiding your scar?" he interrupted me, shocking me.

I shut my mouth and stared up at him again. "What?"

"You shouldn't hide it. I like when I can see it. It's...beautiful." He continued, struggling to say the word beautiful, like the word wasn't in his vocabulary.

I had pinned one side of my hair up, just behind and a little over my ear, and set a beautiful silver hair jewel to hide the bobby pins. On the other side, I had let my hair fall naturally down over my shoulder, letting my long softly curled bangs down to hide my scar and the length of it since the dress exposed my neck and collarbone. Hiding my scar has become second nature for me, I do it without dwelling on the thought. And Oliver...his views were always surprising. Eye-opening. Different.

Yet, his words didn't convince me. The scar was too painful. It held horrible memories. And they couldn't just vanish away in a blink of an eye.

"We should go." My voice was flat, probably harsh, but I didn't care. I wanted fresh air to clear my head. Not waiting for him to respond I moved toward the front door, already heading out and waited for him beside his car.

The whole drive was silent. Oliver had his usual emotionless mask on while I hid my face from him. We were back to square zero.

***