Chapter Two

Present time (New York)

Ruby

I listen carefully and quickly typed on the computer as Liam discussed an important upcoming project for the company. He talked with confidence. Power dripped from his voice and his body language. The fellow business men and women nodded and payed every attention to him.

The meeting continued for an hour before Liam dismissed everyone until it was only us in the room. We shared some quick words between us and I made a mental note to bring a couple of important files with me home to study them. As Liam began to put on his grey suit jacket, a strong knock came from the door. I heard the door open behind me as a person stepped inside. Instantly my blood ran warm as my heart began pumping harder and faster. The small smile I had on my lips was slowly falling. The hair back of my neck stood up and I forced myself to turn around.

Oliver was standing by the closed door, with his hands knotted together behind his back. His board shoulder and chest almost ripped his black suit. His shaved head gave him a brutal and dangerous appearance, aura, and it frightened me to the core. His lips were set into a hard line, his ink black eyes were focused on his boss, Liam Edwards.

"Boss."

My mouth went dry. Even his voice was dark like his aura. Brutal, vicious and rough. Although I felt a wave of fear, I couldn't ignore the unfamiliar and confusing tingle that went through all my veins making a warm blood slowly appear on my pale neck and slowly drifting upwards covering my cheeks.

Liam's grey eyes watched his third in command, speaking his next words carefully as he gave a nod at my direction. "Accompany Ruby home tonight. Come back here as soon as you're done."

My arms tightened around the two files that was against my chest. I stared with wide eyes at Liam, not believing his unexpected words. He has done this before but for some reason I never get numb about it. It always makes me anxious, uncomfortable and scared. The mere thought of sharing the same air as Oliver, consumed me with darkness. I was always on my guard, expecting for him to strike any moment. After all, I knew what he was capable of.

"Why- "

"Yes, boss."

My words froze as I stared at Oliver who kept his focus on his boss. Like always, Liam's usual request left him expressionless. It doesn't affect him like it affects me. And surprisingly it made me slightly livid.

"Don't argue Ruby. You are in safe hands." Liam assured me before he gave us one last look and went for the door.

I stood awkwardly staring into nothing as I tried to calm my breathing and the rate of my heart. You are in safe hands. That is also something I've heard before coming from Liam, and yet till this day, I was still not coping with the words. Trusting the words. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Oliver has never given me the reason to fear him. He has been kind...well in his own silent appearance. He has never touched me. Not with kindness, rudeness nor with violence. In fact, our skin has never made contact.

Clearing my throat, I forced an untrembling smile. "I'll fetch some files, along with my handbag and coat. I'll be right back."

***

I counted my steps. My every exhale and inhale. It was my other way of calming my inner panic attack. With clenched bones I marched toward the elevator where Oliver was already waiting for me, with his hands behind his back. He gave me a small nod and stepped aside to let me inside the already awaiting elevator. Inside, as the doors closed on us, we avoided each other's glance and stood many inches apart from each other. Almost like if we touched, a lightning would strike. The small space made my hands sweaty, every movement of air was calculated. Oliver's huge frame made the space even smaller while my fragile body looked like a simple fly that was breakable with one light push. We both weren't relaxed as the elevator continued to move downwards.