Chapter Five

Ruby

Present Day

I twirled with my bracelet. The same bracelet I had for years, a bracelet that I couldn't take off even if I wanted to. I manipulated myself into thinking it was a gift from my parents but something deep in my mind knew it was nothing special. Just a piece of item they found for my birthday.

I waited for them to say something. We're currently sitting in Liam's office, Oliver was standing behind him. They both had listened to my story, never interrupting me. I told them every detail I could remember. Thinking of the past felt like I was abruptly reverted back to that night, to the darkness. However, when my voice became unsteady, I allowed myself to inhale before continuing.

I peered up seeing as Liam had a diligent expression on his face. Behind him, Oliver was watching me silently. Always silently. A sudden blush bloomed over my face, thinking of how I had embraced him. And how he reluctantly rejected me. That was enough for me to face away from him.

"You said they were talking about a hidden location?" Liam asked, his fingers playing with the rough stubble on his chin. His grey eyes trying to unfold a riddle.

I nodded. "I think my father...hid?...something from that man."

Liam caught Oliver's eyes. "So, he's not only after you, Oliver."

"It appears not, boss." Oliver replied. It annoyed me how expressionless he appeared, his control to stay composed never falter.

I frowned suddenly being inquisitive. "What do you mean?"

Liam sighed, almost like he didn't want to tell me further and when he did continue did I understand why.

"I mean, we know the man behind the burglary. He's the Chinese Mob Boss leading a ruthless criminal group of his own. He goes by the name Bai. The night we saved you, Oliver killed the man that was sexually harassing you," Shivers came in waves, and I tightened the bracelet around my wrist. "he was Bai's brother. It was outside their own club, we're discussing a deal and when we got out Oliver heard your screams. We killed one of them and that makes him seek for revenge but he's aware how powerless and weak he's against us, he wouldn't dare to trespass. He has been silent for years, until now of course."

"Why...why the abrupt change?"

Liam's fist curled into a ball. "Who fucking knows. He's fucking walking toward his death."

"Death?"

"You're one of us, Ruby. You work for me and I consider you one of my significant employee and it's my duty to keep you safe and protected."

My eyes widen. Of course. Killing. Liam is a ruthless man. If someone cause harm toward one of his important people, he'll most definitely strike back leaving a bloodshed behind him. It was a sign that spoke volumes, a sign that said not to cross him. It meant war for him. No one attacks for no reason.

And this time, the reason was me. And Oliver. It was also a bad timing for Liam since his wedding was only a month away. He couldn't risk to deal with shit, his lifestyle was built with unexpected events that could involve guns, blood and soulless monsters. Since the incident with his sister and his fiancé, Liam's protection has heightened, he's more alert to danger. I couldn't blame him.

"Therefore, I think it's best for you to move in with Oliver."

It took a whole minute to finally understand his words.

"Boss."

"Sir." Oliver and I said simultaneously, both our eyes set hard on Liam.