Old Beginnings

~MAI'S POV~

Rosy giggles when my name is called and pushes me off of her boyfriend. Her long blond hair swings around her shoulders in a ponytail as she forces me up. "Evidently your boyfriend is looking for you, so stop pretending Yasuhara is your boyfriend to make Naru jealous." I stiffen and push myself to me feet and groan.

"Thanks a ton Rosy." I mutter walking away, anger rushing to my head, but I quickly suppress it. Straightening my short skirt I tighten my lace sweater and rush into the building. Running my fingers through my poker straight hair I throw the door open and am bombarded by air-conditioning.

Burly Mrs. Saxon eyes me from behind her desk, the secretary not interested enough in me to say anything. She buzzes the door so I can get through and I strut in trying to remain composed. In recent months my powers have become increasingly stable and powerful, but no one needs to know that, and I'm certainly not telling Naru.

I look sternly at the cold young man dressed entirely in black, but don't smile. He turns around and glares at me out the corner of his sparkling midnight blue eyes. "Hello Mai, I assume you're helping us on this case." How can he just assume that I'll help him after what he did!?

Glancing hesitantly at Lin I feel heat rise slightly in my cheeks. Naru glares intensely at me and then at his bodyguard/assistant. It's none of his business why I'm blushing because of Lin, he doesn't need to know.

"I'm afraid I have a current job Mr. Shibuya, but I'd be happy to show you to the room prepared for you." My tone was professional, but not friendly in the slightest. How could he not expect me to have a job? I couldn't live without a paycheck for nearly five years, was he insane?

Naru glances at me with a suppressed sadness in his eyes. He's trying to hide the fact that my moving on upsets him, but I can tell. I stop dead something flashes in front of me.

"Mai! Mai!" A cold, hollow voice cries. The room reeks of blood and I stumble backwards. A deep violet fox fire burns in front of me as I watch a man being devoured by it. He screams my name and looks at me as if he truly knows me. Something grabs me from behind and the man disappears. I scream as I fall against my stomach, a hand gripping my ankle. Something is dragging me through the wall.

I look up and stare at Naru, he glares at me, his eyes soft and scared. Instinctively I mutter an incantation, but all it does is anger the spirit. Headmaster Philips stares at me, "Let go of me!"

Lin swoops down and grabs my wrists. Fire shoots through my legs and echoes through every fiber of my being. Lin flinches and falls backwards. I slowly begging to drift away.

Darkness looms on the edges of my vision. Naru stares at me, fear in his eyes.

"I don't want to die. I don't want to leave my daughter." The hand keeps dragging me downward. Darkness eats at me and I fall down into whatever pit I was being dragged into by the peculiar man.

~ NARU'S POV~

Mai is sloped on the floor screaming, I can faintly see a disembodied hand grabbing her leg and dragging her away. Fear rises within me, there isn't anyway I can interfere without injuring her myself.

Lin lays in pain on the floor and cuts serrate his clothing, cutting his skin. This ghost doesn't play around. Mai screams one last time before the light fades from her wide hazel eyes and her body grows impossibly still.

The hand disappears and leaves behind purple bruises marring her ankle. And then hand seize her by the stomach from behind and pin her to the wall, her feet dangling above the ground. Her bright eyes flash open like lighting.