Chapter One

*Mirae POV*

I pressed the power button on my phone and the screen lit up. No notifications. Not even a damn email from Pinterest saying someone saved my boards. 

I sighed and opened my messages, the last message I had sent to my only friend was three weeks ago. It was a call for help to say the least, a time when I needed her the most and the words I had used expressed that as clear as a freshly washed wine glass. She read it but didn’t reply. Ex-friend I guess. 

The loud crack of lightning made my head shoot up and my eyes go wide. I immediately started to feel a deep wave of anxiety as rain slowly descended on the large glass windows of the warm shop. The sunset was fading faster than I would’ve hoped for and the light was disappearing as if it was being chased by the darkness.

“Mirae...are you alright?” I turned to the soft voice and smiled as the older lady that owned and ran the coffee shop placed her hand on my shoulder gently. 

“Mhm...I didn’t realise how late it had gotten.” I looked out the window again, saddened as the soft light from the sun slowly died out, disappearing for someone else. 

“Well this won’t do at all.” She shook her head in an old-fashioned style as her earings swung from side to side. She sat down across from me at the dark, polished table, her sturdy yet graceful form had a calming effect on me and it always amazed me.  

“What’s on your mind, dear?” She clasped her hands together, the rings on her worn out, bristle fingers showing she was classy and elegant but still hard working and caring. 

“I just feel...alone. My parents are gone and I have no friends.... The amount of love I have to give...is endless...but, no one has a good enough heart to just stick with me and receive it.” I lent my chin on my hands and looked down to the empty cup on the table.

It was silent for a few moments as she no doubt thought it over.

“Mirae.. Look at me." She reached out and ever so softly grazed her fingers over the surface of my hand. "You're young. Just now in your twenties and you're studying thank God. Studying to be an artist and give some of your everlasting beauty to everyone you design for. Give it some time my dear, you will find someone. Maybe even someone so special that you'll start a family with them.” She smiled at me, warmly and softly, but, all I could do was shudder at the thought of having a...child.

What even is family? My mother was taken from me at the age of sixteen when a drunk driver killed her and my father…

Well, he was always dead to me. 

He abused my mother and he abused me. He only cared about money and one night when he had the sheer audacity to bring home a work colleague that was willing to pay him a chunk of money to sleep with my more than attractive mother. She ran away with me and our car was hit. 

I woke up after three weeks in the hospital only to find out my father had already cremated her body. 

He burned her.....and I never got to say goodbye. Never even got to see her.

Family is a lie. It means nothing-

“Mirae?” Ahjumma snapped her fingers in front of my eyes and I jolted back to reality. Ah, that’s right, I was at Sweet and Spicy, the cafe that had become my second home and the ahjumma that had now become the closest thing to a parent to me.