This World is Different

Hannah sat up, exhausted from a sleepless night worried about Trevor, and wondering why he's different. A few times during her sleep Huntress had send vivid images of what Hannah presumed as a dream where there was fire. So much fire. And fear from Huntress, a fear Hannah had only felt the moment she thought Trevor had died, but more intense. It was much more fierce. And hot. She began to get her things together at sunrise, Huntress grabbed Hannah's bow for her, and, sensing how tired Hannah was, offered her a ride on Huntress' strong back and soft fur. Hannah put out the fire with a simple ice spell, the hissing awaking Trevor from a deep sleep. Hannah gave him a weak Smile, knowing she probably looked sickly, and Trevor gave her a cold stare before grabbing Lou and getting up. Huntress and Lou looked at each other, nodded, and Hannah heard Huntress begin to explain where they were going next.

"Sorry for the lack of sleep love! Make sure to try and get some rest on my back today. I'm leading the pack to a small village called Lunderville. It's a trade town, with very few residents. We might get a clue on where to go to find Ellenwind. She's the queen of this place ya' know. Here's lesson number three. Ellenwind is the elven queen of this beautiful land. The problem is, there is corruption in this land, and we are in a war against the dark lands, which are said to house the source of the mysterious power. The queen isn't sure why, but even her own husband became corrupted. He tried to poison her in her sleep. The same poison spells that are engraved in your bow, and give those beautiful arrows such a deadly poison. Anyway! The queen would've died if it weren't for her son, who is a master at not only the beginning spells I told you about, but the Advanced Mage's spells that very few can complete. There are only two that have ever been discovered, but theories and rumors that more exist. Her son used the healing glyph, curing his mother from the deadly poison, and killing his own father poor soul. And to think, he's only Trevor's age.... Well! Get some rest sweet! I'll wake you up when we are within eyeshot of the town."

Hannah felt herself slowly drift off into a fitful sleep, full of dreams of Trevor, the queen and her son, the mysterious corruption, and her father. Eventually Hannah got some good sleep, and when she was nudged away by huntress, it was almost midday. The bright sun that seemed to light the whole land around them up with happiness woke Hannah up quickly, along with the tall brown buildings and wonderful smells of foreign food. God she was hungry. She got off of Huntress' back, fixing herself up a little as they walked into the busy town full of brightly colored tents and people caking the pavement and road. They eventually got to a large flat space in the center of the city, and a large shadow flashed over them all. The masses of people became shushed, and then suddenly exploded in cheers of ecstasy as a huge red dragon landed in a large part of the clearing, and people began to crowd around. The people fed the dragon fish and meat, and offered kind words to the dragon and his mysterious rider. Hannah watched as the rider skillfully slid off the side of the large dragon, and raised an arm, waving and cheering to the people of the town and crowd. He flashed a confident smile, and then his bright green eyes rested on Hannah, Trevor and their companions. His smile widened, and as he began to walk closer, Trevor quickly grabbed around Hannah's waist, much too low and forcefully to be friendly. The rage Hannah had deep down towards him suddenly overflowed, and Huntress barked a deep menacing bark at Trevor, her fur standing on end as Hannah pushed him away, giving him an angry stare. Trevor's face became red in rage, and Lou clicked her beak with frustration. The stranger quickened his pace, and Huntress immediately smoothed her coat, and bowed her head respectfully. Trevor backed away slightly, and Hannah heard him whisper to the stranger

"Alas, leave me and her to our skirmish."

Hannah's eyes widened. Alas!? As in the queens son? Huntress gave her an affirmative, but before Hannah could bow, Alas said in a sweet, yet menacing tone

"Hello stranger.... and Trevor. Is there something going on here that I need to know about?"

The town seemed hushed, and everyone went back into their houses or left the area, leaving it quiet and standoffish. Trevor seemed to become even more enraged, and began to yell at Alas, something Hannah had never seen him do.

"I SAID IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUISNESS ALAS! GET OUT OF HERE AND LEAVE US TO OUR SKIRMISH!"

Hannah felt a snap in his energy, and became suddenly scared of Trevor. She grabbed her bow, nocking an arrow. Alas' dragon's scaled lifted slightly, and a small plume of smoke emitted from it's large nostrils as it slightly raised it's back, like a cat. However, Alas stayed calm, and took a step towards the enraged Trevor. Trevor took a few steps toward Hannah, and much more coldly, but dangerously said in a low tone

"Come on babe, let's get out of here. This guy is just trouble. Trust me."

Alas' eyebrows raised slightly in suspicion at the word babe, and Hannah pulled her arrow back a little tighter.

"Don't even try to call me that now, Trevor. You're way out of line. I know who Alas is. You're not hiding anything from me. I figured this all out."

Knowing suddenly what Hannah had figured out, Huntress let out a crude chuckle.

"You've been here before, haven't you Trevor. You knew all about this place. You faked the surprise about Huntress and Lou. How else would you have known how to perform an advanced fire spell, and seemingly know so much about the queen's son. And how does he know your NAME Trevor? How come you're able to sleep soundly after Lou SURELY told you about the Corruption. Don't think for a second I didn't notice how different you've been. I know you Trevor, and this isn't you. You're trying to drive me away from Alas, who is obviously who we need to talk to so we can find the QUEEN! You didn't even tell me that we were looking for the QUEEN! And Trevor?"

Hannah thought back to the day she found Trevor almost dead, and realized something. He had a needle in his arm. He was part of the filthy gang his father was in. The gang IS the corruption.

"You're corrupted."

At that moment, lightning fast Trevor traced a beautifully drawn fire symbol, and before Hannah knew what was happening, Huntress had jumped in front of the huge flame, being engulfed, and burnt to a crisp as the flames ate her beautiful soft fur, and light pink delicate flesh underneath. She gave one last final howl. A chillingly beautiful and horrible sound as she fell to the ground. Hannah felt the dull feeling as the hot flames engulfed her companion. The companion that had been following her all her life. As the second conscious left her mind, she heard one last clear message from Huntress.

"Goodbye love. I'll always be here, watching and loving you. Avenge me."

As the last words faded out, Hannah let the arrow fly. It was glowing green, and pierced Trevor right in the center of his forehead. Lou flew towards Hannah, and Alas suddenly jumped in front of her, a bright yellow magic shield was suddenly in his hand, and Lou hit it like a bug on a windshield, falling quickly, neck broken. Alas had used one of the Mage's spells; Shield. Hannah felt hot tears stream down her face. Huntress. She's gone. The last small bit of Huntress' consciousness had died out, leaving Hannah more alone than she had even been. She fell to the ground over Huntress, crying warm tears over the burnt wolf. Alas got on his knees next to Hannah, and motioned towards Trevor.

"Do you want me to save him?"

Hannah looked up to see Trevor, writhing on the ground, the arrow still in his head. He was foaming at the mouth, and a small stream of blood was dripping out of his eye sockets like tears. Hannah got up, feeling so weak and so strong all at once. Trevor had lied to her. Trevor had killed Huntress. Trevor had known all along. He deserved a slow death. She walked to him, and looked him right in the eyes. He looked up at her with an animalistic fear as she grabbed her arrow, and whipped it right out of his skull, spraying a thin stream of his blood on the pavement. Black blood. The blood of a corrupted traitor. Alas' dragon grabbed Huntress' corpse, and Alas motioned for her to get on the gleaming red dragon. She obliged, confused but too exhausted to protest. 

"Ruby is going to drop Huntress in the lake of souls. She will be able to rest in peace there, and then we will go to the palace. There's a woman there who may be able to shed light on how to get Huntress back as well."

Hannah nodded to Alas as they took off. A short flight later, they were 1,000 feet above a shimmering gold lake. It's sheer beauty broke Hannah down to tears once again, and Ruby dropped Huntress into the liquid gold. Her body gracefully dived in, sinking right down. Hannah felt a sense of completion as they flew towards the palace.