Chapter 3~ First Day of College

Soon students began collecting. Aashi could hear the chattering but didn't bother looking up from her notebooks, she wrote the date neatly in the top right corner. She checked the schedule and took out the text book. This weekend, Aashi and her Dad had gone to buy the text books, she had brought for Rishabh as well. He hadn't tagged along, he chose to spend some time with his friends from school playing Video games. He was very chill about all this as he knew Aashi had his back.

Aashi turned her head to look at Rishabh, he is making faces at his textbook. She smiled shaking her head. He looked at Aashi and pouted sadly. Aashi smiled at him and then turned around. She then opened her textbook, leaning forward she smelted the book and her smile widened. She loves the smell of new books be it textbooks or novels. She just loves books.

'Hey.' Aashi turned her head when she heard a girl's voice. A young girl with braces smiled at her.

'Hey.' Aashi replied politely.

'I am Suchitra.' The girl stuck out her palm

'Aashi.' They shook hands. Aashi watched her take out her books and frowned as she realized something.

'Suchitra Garg? Rank 1?' Aashi asked amused. Suchitra is taken aback. She isn't used people looking the way Aashi is looking at her. Looking at Aashi, Suchitra gave a small nod.

'I am Aashi Verma, Rank 3.' Aashi gushed happily. Suchitra's frown turned into a smile realizing she is sitting with someone who shares the same interests and brains like her.

'Friends.' Aashi forwarded her palm. Suchitra smiled widely and shook hands with her.

'Friends, also competitors.' Suchitra added with a smirk.

Aashi nodded. 'It will be amazing competing with you.' She said. The two girls then began chatting like teens fangirling over a silly celebrity. Speaking with her, Aashi understood why Suchitra got Rank 1, she is a genius. Also, she realized she will have a lot to learn from her.

They stopped only when the Professor entered the classroom. Everyone stopped speaking and momentarily there is silence as they all rose in respect for the Professor. But as soon as Professor asked everyone to sit, they all began chattering again.

'Silence!'

******************************************

Today was the first day so it was mostly introductory lectures, after lunch, they all were supposed to be taken on the tour of the campus. Aashi wasn't interested, she thought it was lame, they could explore the place on their own. Rishabh, on the other hand, was excited. They met up for lunch.

'Rishabh, meet Suchitra. She is Rank 1.' Aashi introduced her best friend to her new-found friend.

'Hey.' Rishabh tried to sound excited. Suchitra smiled blushing little, they shook hands.

'Come, Aashi.' Before Aashi could react, he held her hand and dragged her towards the Canteen. Aashi felt bad that they ignored Suchitra but everything happened so quickly that she didn't have time to react. As Rishabh took her, she turned her head and mouthed a sorry. Suchitra smiled warmly.

'That was rude.' Aashi said.

'Who cares ya?' Rishabh answered passing her a sandwich. He rolled his eyes as Aashi lectured him about how great and kind and intelligent Suchitra is and how much they will get to learn from her.

'Aashi, it is rude to talk while eating.' Rishabh interrupted her. Aashi didn't listen, she went on until Rishabh broke a morsel of her club sandwich and stuffed it into her mouth. She glared at him and he chuckled leaning back in his chair.