Hailey

Justin's P.O.V

"So I'm wondering...can we still be friends?"

I️ stepped back from the mic and pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. "Sorry guys, can we do that one more time?"

"Don't stress yourself so much, man, it's sounding good. Really good." The studio engineer, Ryan said.

I ran my hand across the top of my head and took a deep breath. "I just don't want it to sound half-assed, you feel me?"

There was a sudden knock at the door. The door quietly crept open, interrupting our session.

"Mr. Bieber, a young lady is here to see you." The man said.

Behind the man, Hailey appeared.

I looked at Ryan, and he pursed his lips. "Let's take ten." He announced.

Confused on how Hailey knew where I was, and which studio I was at, I took my headphones off as she entered the booth.

"Hey stranger." She smiled, as she approached me with a hug.

I️ politely hugged her back, and kissed her on the cheek. "Hey, how are you?"

"Pretty good. You got a minute?" She asked.

"I've got ten to be exact." I chuckled, grabbing my pack of cigarettes. "Let's talk outside."

I lead her to outside to the back. "Yo, I'll be right back, just taking a quick smoke break." I told everyone. They all nodded, as I held the door open for Hailey.

I put my hood over my head just incase there were any paps sneaking around. I sat on the back steps as Hailey stood in front of me.

She rubbed her hands together as she tried to keep herself warm. "It's so cold." She laughed.

I lit my cigarette, sucking my cheeks in to inhale, agreeing with her.

"I always hated you smoking." She stated.

"Who are you here with?" I️ asked, curious where she came from. I ignored her judgement.

"Drake and his people. He planned a session right after you. We didn't know you were still here." She explained. "It's funny, last week in an interview, they asked me to choose between you and him." She laughed.

I chuckled. "Is that so?"

"I chose you, of course."

I exhaled and nodded. "Did you need something?"

She crossed her arms and looked at me in some sort of disbelief. "So it's like that now?"

I was quiet.

She pressed her tongue against her cheek and shook her head. "I'm so tired of this." She mumbled.

"Tired of what?"

"Tired of always being your second choice, Justin!" She exclaimed.

I gulped.

"I'm sick and tired of getting dropped like I'm nothing every time you find a new toy to play with." She ranted.

"Hailey..."

"You can't even deny it. I'm always the one who looks so stupid! And everyone knows how this is going to end."

I furrows my eyebrows and looked at up at her. "What do you mean?"

"You'll one day get bored of Vivian, drop her, and then come back to me like nothing happened. Just like how you did with Jayde, Nicole, and Yovanna. I could probably name a few more." She said.

"So you think you're just some chick I use to fall back on?" I ashed my cigarette out, and stood up. "Is that what you're trying to say?"

"That's what I know I am, Justin! It's obvious!" She fumed.

"Hailey, you know that's not true."

"But do I? Spending almost everyday with you, going on vacations, getting close with each other's families,"

"You're my best friend, Hailey? What does this have to do with anything?"

"Best friends don't fuck, Justin." She hissed.

And there it was.

I took a deep breath. "Don't go there, Hails." I warned, getting annoyed.

"Why can't I? Afraid someone will hear?" She raised her voice.

"Each time you came onto me." I snapped.

"Oh, is that what you think?" She faked a laugh. "I can't believe you right now, trying to flip it on me."

Knowing that wasn't completely true, I signed. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry for making you feel this way. Sleeping with you was a mistake-

She scoffed. "So now I'm a mistake?"

"Fuck, I didn't mean it like that!" I groaned, getting frustrated. Everything I was saying was the wrong thing to say.

She looked up at the sky, seemingly trying to hold back a few tears. "So you and Vivian? Things are getting pretty serious?" She asked.

Feeling uncomfortable that her name was being brought up, I still answered. "Yeah, I️'d like to think so..." I trailed off.

"Yeah, it's been a few months. That's shocking." Even though she was being blunt, it was true.

"So whatever we have...or had, it's done?" She added.

I pushed things aside, and pulled her in for a sincere hug. I️ couldn't bear the fact that I was hurting her, and I never meant to do so. She was a good girl, and didn't deserve to feel like this.

"You'll always be my best friend, Hails." I said to her.

She pushed me off of her and groaned. "That's the problem. I can't be just friends with you." She wiped her face dry, and walked passed me up the steps and back into the studio.

I walked back into the studio, hoping it wasn't too obvious that there had been a heated conversation outside. Everyone seemed to pretend not to notice.

I sat back inside the booth.

"You ready, man?" Ryan asked.

I pursed my lips and looked down at the lyrics that were sitting right in front of me.

Doesn't have to end. And if it ends, can we be friends?

"Yo, let's work on something else for now." I said.