Anger & Tears

"You're going to GERMANY?!" Mimi shouted. "HAMBURG?! Of all the places in the world you could go, you choose GERMANY?!?"

"We didn't exactly choose it, Mimi!" John huffed. "We got hired! We're going to be paid to work and play concerts!!" John conveniently left out the part where they were only being paid fifteen pounds a week (no, not each).

Paul pursed his lips and stared at the floor awkwardly. He had been the one who convinced John they should tell Mimi and not just leave her a note on the front door the day they left for Hamburg. John had been stubborn and refused for a while but in the end he was no match for Paul's big, sad, brown doe eyes.

"Paul," Mike frowned. "You're not really leaving, are you?"

"I've got to, Mikey." Paul sighed. "We've got work, now. We've got a job. If we're going to make it in the music business, we have to start somewhere, don't we?"

"Or you could both give up this poisonous dream and start a normal career like normal people," Mimi spat more at John than at Paul. "You are a disgrace to this family, John Lennon! You'll never make a living with a guitar!!"

"Mimi, I'm only telling you this because Paul convinced me that I should!" John shouted. "It's not up to! We're leaving for Germany a week from tomorrow whether you like it or not!!"

"Paul, can I talk to you alone for a minute?" Mike asked.

Paul nodded and the two of them walked into the kitchen while John and Mimi continued screaming at each other, trying to be heard over the other. "What's up?" Paul asked his younger brother.

"Have you read this morning's paper yet?" Mike asked.

"No," Paul shook his head. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Mike pulled a newspaper from inside a drawer and handed it over to Paul. "I hid it from Mimi. Thought she might have a heart attack if she saw."

Paul read the first line and frowned; 'James McCartney released from prison after two years. Judge says his so called murder attempt was merely a misunderstand.'

"I didn't want to tell you," Mike stated. "But I had to."

Paul gaped at the paper. "Misunderstanding? MISUNDERSTANDING?! I beg to differ!! I beg to FUCKING differ! I - I - how do we stop this?! How do we - he can't be - he can't - "

Mike shook his head.

"Well this is just another reason to leave the country," Paul sighed.

"What about me?" Mike frowned.

Paul walked over to his brother and put his hands on the younger boy's shoulders. "Come with us," he said. "It'll be great, Mike. You can school yourself. Lots of people do it. And you'll be safe."

Mike shook his head. "I can't leave Mimi," he said. "She's become like family and she's really torn up about John leaving. I mean, she's angry that it's Germany you're going to, but a lot of the screaming is about him leaving. I can tell."

John and Mimi were still shouting angrily in the next room over.

"I know," Paul pulled Mike close and hugged him tightly. "Listen to me. Everything is going to be fine. I'll call you as soon as we land in Germany and I'll give you the number for our hotel room. Call me if anything happens. If any news about dad is in the paper, or if you see him, and if he shows up just...if anything is amiss, call the cops."

Mike nodded. "Okay."

"And when he's gone call me," Paul added.

"Aright," Mike nodded again. "Do you have to go?"

"Yeah," Paul sighed and let go of his hold on his baby brother. "I do. But, hey, one day when I'm rich and famous, I'll take you on tour with the band. We renamed the band, you know."

Mike rolled his eyes. "Again?"

"Well, the guy who hired us said our name made us sound like a skiffle band," Paul said. "He said we had to change it."

"But you are a skiffle band," Mike pointed out.

"Not anymore," Paul shook his head.

"Alright," said Mike. "What are you now then?"

"A rock group," Paul smiled.

"And what's your name?"

"The Beatles," said Paul. "B-E-A-T-L-E-S."

"Interesting," Mike furrowed his brows.

"It'll catch on," Paul assured him. "Eventually. I hope."

Mike nodded and laughed. "If you say so, Paulie."