Chapter 15: Aging

THE TEARS RAN freely down my face as I sat on Harry's couch, partly sad and partly shocked. Would he really say that?

I listened for him but only came up with that typical empty mind that I've heard for the past 18 years. He's closed me out.

Fresh tears came out but soon, I was pulling myself together. There was no way the King of Carpathia was going to mess with my emotions any longer.

I got up and covered my breasts with my hands even though no one was around. I was so disappointed in myself to look at my ugly body. My fingers reached down and touched the silky material of the now torn dress and I just sighed frustratingly at how this dress was no longer wearable. The tiny letters flashed through my mind, causing me to drop the dress with shaking hands.

He lied. He fuçking lied to me. There is no way he loves me. I almost cried again but stopped my tears immediately. He's not in my life anymore.

I almost jumped when someone knocked on the door of his giant room.

"Miss Forbes? I have service requested for you from the King. May I come in?" It sounded like an old woman.

"Yes." My voice slightly cracked. My thirst for his blood was already starting to show up in little particles at the back of my throat.

The door slowly opened quietly. I immediately became protective of the older woman that came in. She was so frail, it was almost impossible that she was pushing that cart in.

Her age had begun to show in the brownish gray fur that lined her arms. Her skin was wrinkled underneath her eyes, and her wolf ears were growing in. An unmated shapeshifter of any kind only maintains eternal youth once he or she has found her Mate.

Once she grew old enough and became her true form, her brain would freeze in time and she would walk the earth, for eternity, as a Wolf.

"Sweetie?" The Elder asked.

"Ma'am. I must admit my respect for you. You have gone through many lives as it seems." I said, bowing my head.

She chuckled lightly.

"Oh Young One, I always appreciate respect from those of recent generations. But I have been ordered to serve you your lunch and give you clothing." She said.

"If you don't mind me asking, how many winters have you seen?"

She thought for a moment, bringing her finger to her chin to tap.

"I will have seen my 2,456th winter this coming one."

I opened my eyes wide.

"My Elder! Surely you must have been relieved of your duties by now!"

"No, no, sweetie. I enjoy serving the King. I have no where to go. He enjoys my company and I enjoy his." She said before leaning over and opening a cabinet door in the cart she brought. My nose was immediately filled with different flavors of salty and sweet things.

"Have a seat hon. This menu was put together especially by the King himself." She cooed. Then she jumped. "Oh! I almost forgot!"

She opened the opposite side of the cabinet, revealing dark, sunset orange silk material. She then pulled out an item from the top, walking around the cart. I was afraid she would collapse underneath her legs at any moment.

"Here sweetheart. You may need a little cover up." She handed me the robe, and my skin shivered at how cold and incredibly smooth it was.

"Thank you...?" I turned it into a question. Learning the woman's name was my top priority.

"Loraine." She smiled brightly.

"Thank you Loraine." I smiled back.