Chapter 16: Breaking

MY SKIN ROSE goosebumps as I stepped out onto the balcony, the chilly air of Carpathia immediately taking it's effect. The breeze blew my hair away from my shoulders, making the smooth silk I was wearing almost useless to protect me from the chill.

My eyes took in the amazing sight of the city, all the lights and people roaming the streets. They were so oblivious to the darkness lurking in their King's mind.

My stomach had been filled with delicious treats I could only ever dream of when I was with my mom. My jaws had begun to grow sore from chewing.

The events of the day seeped into my mind. From the taste of Harry's blood on my tongue, to the last mouthful of food I shoveled down my throat. It was all too overwhelming just to think about it. So how am I going to live so many of these days with the weight of being Queen of Carpathia on my shoulders? The thought crossed my mind several times when I was in my cell.

A howl pierced my ears, pulling me back into reality. Luna had shone her light on the Earth just barely for me to see the chocolate brown wolf atop a peak of rocks outside of the city gates. My advanced eyesight let me see exactly who it was. Tripp.

His howl screamed loss and sorrow. I could not bear the look on his face that he was giving me. My Alpha became a broken pup looking into my eyes.

Come back to me. His voice invaded my mind as I finally stopped blocking him out.

I only felt a different pull now. Not from him, but from my very strong and dominant Mate lurking the halls in the levels below. My need to stay with Tripp remained no longer.

Alpha, my loyalties no longer lie with you. I told him painfully.

Don't even think about it. I need my other pack mate. He pleaded, knowing exactly what I was going to do.

It was saddening to do without the official ritual but it had to be done before I felt any more sadness.

I'm so sorry Alpha. You will remain in my heart and mind but I have a new pack and Alpha. Thank you for being there for me for all these years. Please take care of my mother. I said with tears in my eyes.

No! No! He screamed while I sent my message to Luna. Luna, the moon goddess shined light into my soul. I sighed at the wonderful feeling. She frowned down at me, her eyes slightly visible through the moon.

Are you entirely sure you want to do this, my child? She asked.

I don't want to, Luna. But I need to. I told her, resisting from telling her different.

A very wise decision... Very well, Raven, it will be done. She said sadly. It must hurt to break bonds between her children.

I watched in wonder as the moon's glow slightly brightened and a line between Tripp and I illuminated.

Raven! Stop! Please! I need you! Tripp's voice was fading quick and I remained silent as the line between us grew bright. I watched it disappear. His silhouette shuddered and collapsed to the ground, making it obvious he was crying. That is something I never thought I'd see Tripp do.

The regret leaked into my bones moments after, making me wish I could say one more thing to him. Then, one more thing came to my mind which I could do.

With all my might, I howled back at him, filling it with as much emotion as I could. It echoed throughout the city and I watched as many people stopped to gaze to the moon. I watched the moon carefully, seeing the white veins in it grow slightly longer.

When my gaze finally fell back to the place I last saw Tripp, he was gone. And I let tears stream from my eyes at the lengths I had to go to protect them. I just officially left my birth pack unofficially.

~#~

I lay on the giant bed in the King's room, crying silently at the empty feeling in my heart. Hours passed since Tripp and I's final encounter.

Harry came into the room later, his face filled with worry and pain. But I paid no attention to him, for my pain was much more than his. He undressed, leaving himself in his boxers.

I felt him slip into the bed behind me, and after many painful moments of anticipation, his arm wrapped around my waist, and pulled me to his naked chest.

"You are so strong, beloved." He whispered into my ear, pressing his lips to it shortly after.

Even though I was supposed to be mad at him, I turned to him, and immediately began sobbing into his chest with him rubbing my back soothingly. One question lingered in my mind as he did so.

Where the hell did my dignity go?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(A/N: Hey Dallas!)