Vulnerable and Dejected

Maya walked up to a pretty run down looking apartment building and Lucas followed, a frown taking over his features when she walked into a dark alley off to the side.

"Maya, it's kinda sketchy out here be careful." He advised walking closer.

She stopped at a window and lifted it up. "I'm fine. Thanks for walking me."

Lucas blinked. "Wait, you live here? Why are you climbing in through the window? Is anyone even home right now?"

Maya sighed. "All your questions annoy me."

"I'm sorry. I'm worried."

Maya scoffed and turned to shut the window, but Lucas started climbing in.

"I didn't invite you inside. You don't have to worry. I'm fine. I've lived here my whole life, I can handle it, thanks." Maya said trying to shoo him away, but Lucas started walking around her room just looking around.

"Why's it so cold in here?"

Maya sighed. "I have a heater. I just didn't turn it on yet." She walked over to her desk and clicked on a medium sized electric heater, then she remembered her mom couldn't pay the bill yet and everything was off. "Uh, it takes a minute."

Lucas turned and didn't see the red light lit up. "It's off. Is it plugged in?"

"Of course it is! I'm not an idiot!" Maya snapped.

Lucas held his hands up in defense. "Sorry." He saw a light switched and flicked it, but no light came on. "Uh, Maya?"

"What?!" She huffed in frustration clicking the heater off again.

"Your light blew out. If you have a bulb I can change it for you."

Maya sighed, she hated that he was seeing all of this. When she said yes to him walking her home she never wanted him to actually go inside.

Lucas, being curious, flicked on her desk lamp. Nothing. Then he picked up a pencil and put it in the small electric sharpener. Nothing. "You don't have electricity, do you?" He said turning to face the annoyed blonde.

"No! Okay?! You happy! You've seen my crap home now you can leave and go tell everyone at school how poor little Maya lives a miserable life!" She yelled at him.

Lucas frowned. "I would never do that. I'm not that kind of guy."

Maya just sighed. "Just leave me alone, Lucas."

He didn't know what was worse, her actually using his name or her dejected tone when she said it. But he knew that right now she needed someone and even if she was trying to push him away he could never leave her, not like this. So he walked over and gathered her small frame in his arms.

"What are you doing?"

"Staying." He said softly then he felt her relax is his embrace. "Is that okay with you, Maya?"

She didn't speak. She just nodded in his chest.