Group Chat

Maya was sitting on the couch with Topanga when Riley came home. "Riley, go to your room, please." Topanga said.

Riley's wide grin fell. "Why?" She looked over at her mom and Maya and saw Maya's wrist. "Maya? What did you do?"

"Riley, please, go to your room."

Riley blinked away her tears and nodded then she walked away to her room. She immediately took out her phone and texted Farkle.

Maya hurt herself. I don't know why. I thought you said Lucas was coming over to watch her.

Riley's phone dinged a minute after she sent the text.

I texted him. He said he would! Is she okay?! I'll text him!

I don't know, add him, so we can group text. I don't have his #.

Got it. Added.

Hey Lucas, what happened to Maya??

Riley waited for Lucas to reply.

She hurt herself. I got there and found her. Too late to stop her.

And you just left her?!

Thanks for telling me this was a group chat.. You guys left her first! To go on a date so shut up!.. I had to leave!

We know we shouldn't have left. Dont yell at us.

Dont yell at me! If you two were better friends to her none of this wouldve happened!

I thought you said she was sick! How can a sickness be our fault?!

Its a mental kind of sick Riley. Usually caused by pain or trauma or just a rough life.

I cant watch someone else i care about die that way! Im sorry but I'm falling for Maya and I can't watch her die!

Who said anything about dying?! Is maya gonna die?! Farkle!

No riley. She wont die. We wont let her. I promise you.

You cant promise that and you cant stop it. It just happens. One minute your laughing with them and the next they are hanging in your barn swinging back and forth when you open the door to get oats.

Farkle?!

Lucas, you're scaring Riley!

Good! Maybe if you guys lost someone this way like i did you would understand how serious this really is! Maybe you need to be scared! I am and its hell!

So... your cousin that you said wasnt okay when she went through this.. she died.. Im sorry.

Yea.. We couldnt help her. We tried but once that diseased thought was in her head that was it.. It was only a matter of time.. until she was gone.

I dont want to upset you but Maya isnt your cousin.

i dont want to upset you guys but she is.. she doesnt want to eat.. she cut her wrist.. she broke down at school.. I just.. i cant watch her. Okay? I still have nightmares from three years ago! I cant anymore!

It was three years ago? Im sorry Lucas.. but you dont know Maya like we do. We have been friends for 8 years.. She would never kill herself.

Something is wrong with Maya, but she would never do that.

Her house has no heat or electric or food. I told her i wouldnt tell anyone but i figured i should tell you guys so you realize how little you actually know your best friend. I have to go.. Please dont text me about her anymore. We're not friends.

Riley sighed and put down her phone. Her door opened and Auggie walked into the room.

"Auggie, I'm not in the mood."

"I have to stay in here with you while mom and dad talk to Maya." He said walking over to sit at her bay window. "Why is Maya so sad? Is she okay?"

Riley shook her head and walked over to sit beside him. "No, but she will be. We know she will."

Auggie put his hand on Riley's hand. "You can't make someone be okay, you just have to be there for them whether they are or not." He told her seriously.

Riley gave him a sad smile and ruffled his hair. "You're too smart for your own good, kiddo."

He nodded. "Someone has to be."

Riley chuckled.