Prologue

Over fives years ago, Artemis chose to take a break from hunting supernatural creatures after millennia of doing nothing but that nonstop alongside her twin brother, Alec.

  There were a few times when she did, but it only ended horribly. For example, the time she loved someone, it only ended in heartbreak for her and excruciating pain for the man. That man was Kol Mikaelson, the youngest living Mikaelson brother. Her brother ended up doing the same exact thing with Kol's younger sister, Rebekah, which lead to heartbreak also. But Artemis's story was by far the worst.

Oh, she loved Kol more than anything. It was a love she fought for more than she fought for anything else in her immortal life as a supernatural huntress. But, if you think about it, she was an immortal huntress and he was an original vampire, it was bound to get ugly soon or later.

Even if they were polar opposites, they were truly meant to be. Anyone who saw them could see that they loved each other more than anything.

Artemis was willing to give up hunting and every code she and her brother lived by their entire lives just to be with this Mikaelson brother, the man she loved. She was hesitant to even take a liking to him at first, but everything came crashing down after numerous run-ins with the Mikaelson boy. She had the urge to kill him more times than she could even count, yet she could never seem to go through with it.

One thing was for sure about Artemis, she didn't dare flirt with enemy up until meeting him.

Kol, on the other hand, his feeling came crashing through instantly after meeting her. There was just something about her. Something that attracted him to her. He had never felt that way about anyone and it was almost addicting.

Maybe it was because she wasn't afraid of him or maybe it was because she was not afraid to face someone twice her size and actually end up winning. After finding out that she was the offspring of Tatia herself, it only made him want the girl even more.

   Kol didn't care that she was a hunter and he was an original vampire. It took Artemis a long while to share those romantic feelings though. She was beyond hesitant and tried to keep herself from falling for him, but it never worked. She ended up falling anyway and fell awfully hard. Just as Kol did. Everything was good up until it wasn't any longer. It wasn't either of their faults, technically.

It was Klaus Mikaelson's fault.

He ruined his brother's only chance at happiness all because he was angered by his brother's lying about the girl's true identity and the betrayal of bringing a huntress and her brother into his family's home. Klaus told the girl a made up a lie about Kol that made her instantly become furious with him. It made her want revenge on the man she loved. If only she had asked, she would have known that it wasn't true.

And it didn't end well for Kol. Not at all. It left Kol buried six feet under in the dead of winter without a heart. He was left there for several hours, struggling to dig himself back up to the surface. After that, he didn't see Artemis ever again.

Well, up until now.

In a place called Mystic Falls, the last place he would expect to see her after almost five centuries.