Chapter 1

After meeting with Connor Jordan, a fellow hunter they met on the road, Artemis and her twin brother, Alec, found themselves tagging along to a small town called Mystic Falls. It was supposedly 'infested' with vampires. Artemis knew then that it was finally time to end her break off and get back to her lifelong job alongside Alec.

Once getting the instructions from Connor, both Petrova siblings found themselves walking up the steps of a mansion by a family by the name of Lockwood. Supposedly, the Mayor lived there with her son. Artemis and Alec had only arrived at the town earlier that day so hadn't had time to catch up on her facts.

Artemis rang the doorbell and it was opened soon after by a middle-aged lady with brown shoulder-length hair.

The woman gave the siblings a concerned look, wondering why this random girl and boy was at her doorstep, "May I help you?" She asked the hunter and huntress confused.

"Good Evening," Artemis greeted her with a fake smile, "I'm hoping we can help you actually. Our partner and the two of you spoke with Sheriff Forbes earlier. My name is Maya Prescott," Artemis explained to the lady, introducing herself with a fake alias she made up, "And this is Alec."

Whenever Artemis made up an alias name, she always made it so that she kept her initials the same. She had numerous names over the centuries: Marie Page, Madeline Pierce, Molly Pickens, Morgan Phillips, you name it, she has had it. Her brother, however, always changed his name to Alec and then just changed his last name to whatever his sister had chosen.

Artemis gave a fake smile as she held her right hand out, ready to shake the mayor's hand. Artemis knew to wear her gloves laced with vervain while hunting in Mystic Falls, it would help rule out people as vampires.

  Carol glanced down at her hand before hesitantly shaking the girl's hand, "Carol Lockwood. I know who two of you are, Maya. Aren't you two a little young to be working this job?" She asked and Alec let out a small laugh.

"We get that a lot." He replied in a calm tone.

"I'm also pretty sure the sheriff made it clear that the tragedy at the farmhouse was an internal matter," Carol informed them, seeming as if she was hoping to get rid of them as quick as possible.

Artemis nodded her head in agreement, "Yeah, that's one way of looking at it, I guess. Although, I personally favor the term cover-up," Artemis told her before using her superhuman hearing to hear someone near the stairs, about to walk down, "Do you mind if we come in?" She asked curiously.

Carol's eyes widened slightly, almost as if she was hiding something, "You know, I don't really think that's a good idea." She said to her, about to close the door, but Artemis rolled her eyes and lightly pushed the door back open, "Excuse me!"

"Thank you." Alec stated as he entered the house alongside his sister, both of them quickly glancing around, "You're aware that it wasn't an accident. Any rookie fireman with a half a brain can tell you that."

Carol placed hands on her hips, "What are you, the press?" She questioned and Artemis gave her a small, amused smile.

"Not exactly." She answered and Carol crossed her arms as she glared at the duo, "So, twelve council members are now dead. You are the mayor, why weren't you there?" Artemis asked curiously.

Carol shrugged her shoulders, "It wasn't on official town business."

"What was it then?" Artemis asked quickly.

Carol was about to answer when she and the two Petrova twins heard a voice say, "Mom?"

Artemis turned her head to see a teenage boy walking down the stairs as he put a shirt on. He gave his mom a concerned look when he saw the two unknown siblings talking with his mother, "What's going on?" He asked concerned.

Artemis smirked as the boy walked past her and then stood right behind her. She turned her body around to face him and she could already tell that he was supernatural. She didn't know what, though. She did know one thing, her gloves would rule out if he was a vampire or not.

"Is there something I can help you with?" He asked her, a curious look on his face.

"Maybe. How are you doing? I'm Maya Prescott," She introduced herself, holding out her right hand.

Immediately after the palm of the boy's hand touched her leather glove, he began to yell out in pain.

"Well, well, I was right after all," she smirked at him as she moved part of her jacket to the side and pulled out her gun that was had magical wooden bullets made by witches in it.

Before she could even shot the boy, her brother had already done it. Alec pointed his gun at the Mayor's son and shot the boy five times before Artemis let go of the grip on his hand.

"Tyler! Tyler!" Carol screamed, worried for her son's life.

When Alec ran out of bullets, Artemis went into her pocket and got a new set of ammo, ready to have her shot at the boy. Just as she was about to load her gun, Carol screamed, "Tyler, run!"

Tyler's eyes shot open before he bolted out of his home, jumping through a window.

"Hybrid." She grumbled, sharing a glance with her brother before they both chasing after him.

For several hours, Artemis and Alec chased the Hybrid through the woods. When they finally caught him, Artemis pulled out the sword she hid in the woods earlier that day when practicing hand to hand combat with her brother. Just as she was about to kill him, two figures came up from behind her and pulled her away.

"Run!" The female yelled, who had a tight grip on Artemis. Artemis glanced at her brother, who was standing there, his eyes locked on the girl holding on to his sister. His eyes were wide, almost as if he were shocked. Artemis could hear the girl gasp as she stared at Alec.

The second figure took a look at the girl and gasped when he saw who it was, "Maliya?" Kol quietly gasped, staring directly at the girl in front of him that Rebekah was holding back by the arms.

"Aleksander?" Rebekah gasped as she saw the boy standing before.

Maliya avoided eye contact as she spoke, "Nobody has called us that in over four centuries." She told him as she struggled to release herself from Rebekah's tight grip, "Mind letting me go?"

"Maliya, as in the immortal huntress who buried you alive five hundred years ago?" Rebekah asked Kol, clearly ignoring Artemis's demands, "She and Aleksander know each other?"

"Yeah, and I'll gladly do it again," Artemis growled as she flipped Rebekah over, landing her on the ground.

Kol stood there, motionless and shocked by the fact that the former love of his life was standing here before him, with his younger sister's past lover by her side.

"You should be glad that we're after the Hybrid and not you or the two of you would be dead." Alec told the two original vampires before looking at his sister, "Let's go."

Artemis nodded her head, before running off with her brother, in search of the hybrid.